Home Open Account Help 217 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Aussie Adventure Part 5

Date: 03/27/06 20:38
Aussie Adventure Part 5
Author: africansteam

We arrived back at Sydney Central in plenty of time to witness the arrival of our train. 3112 pulled up to the platform bunker first, then cut off and ran around the three vintage coaches for a chimney first departure. Sitting on the adjacent track was one of the streamlined CountryLink intercity trains, quite similar in appearance to the British HS 125 equipment. These high-speed trains serve nearly 350 destinations in New South Wales, Queensland, the ACT (Australian Capital Territory) and Victoria. Comparing the two trains side-by-side one could only marvel at the difference nearly a century of progress makes.

The power for this trip was to have been Pacific 3801. In the green and yellow livery she was wearing at the time, (she has since been repainted in her original gray scheme) this locomotive could have doubled for a New Haven I-5 Hudson, and I was looking to forward to vicariously living an experience I had missed by being born on the west coast of the US, as opposed to the northeast. Unfortunately, a few weeks’ earlier problems had been discovered with her tires and 3112 had been substituted instead.

The 3112 is one of 145 4-6-4 suburban tank engines ordered for the New South Government Railways. Beyer Peacock at Manchester, England built her in 1914. She measures 41 feet long, weighs 73 tons, has a cylinder bore of 19-1/4 inches and a stoke of 24 inches. Operating boiler pressure is 160 PSI. Her fuel bunker carries 4 tons of coal, and the water tank capacity is 1580 gallons. After electrification of the Sydney suburban rail network in the late 1920’s she handled trains for the outer Sydney suburban services. After being overhauled in 1970 she performed shunting duties in Bathurst until February of 1972. She ultimately found her way into the hands of her present owner in November of 1986 and was restored to service at the Lachlan Valley Railway Museum in Cowra, emerging from overhaul on February 27, 1988. She is presently leased by the 3801 Limited group and operated by regular State Rail Drivers.

We left Sydney a few minutes off the advertised, and accelerated quickly out of town. By US standards the 3112 is quite small, and although trailing a rake of only 3 passenger cars and an auxiliary water car, she barked smartly out of Sydney Central and was rapidly up to track speed. Her 4’-7” drivers give her an advertised speed of 80 kilometers per hour, but Joe indicated that she was actually capable of 100 kph/hr. In no time at all, she was, to quote my old friend Harry Weiss, “going like a striped tailed ape”. While enroute, we made two intermediate stops to pick up additional passengers. These were executed with the classic rapid deceleration and equally quick acceleration of a typical commuter operation, and were comparable to anything I have experienced on LA’s Metrolink or the Bay Area’s CalTrain. I think fjc over on the western board would have been impressed. Our delayed departure and the two stops, coupled with a bit of slowing as we labored our way up the steep Epping Bank to Hornsby put us into Hawkesbury River Station a bit off the mark - but not by much.

One of the disadvantages to riding any excursion is the limited availability of photo opportunities. I had taken a number of photos from the train, but was only able to squeeze off a couple of shots upon arrival at Hawkesbury River before our train departed for servicing and layover. For this reason I am indebted to Railpage Australia for the lineside pictures in this post. If you have any curiosity about Australian Railroading, or are considering a visit to Australia, then a visit their site at http://www.railpage.org.au/ is well worthwhile. They are the Aussie complement of Trainorders. On a personal note; as I am in the aggregate, lazy, a railfan and a graphic and web designer, I love their slogan: “Wasting time and bandwidth since 1992”.

After disembarking the train we walked a short distance to the pier and boarded the MV Hawkesbury, a small two-deck excursion vessel. The day was warm and sunny, and there was little to do onboard but sit back, relax and enjoy a few drinks and good conversation while watching the scenery glide past on either side. After three weeks of non-stop touring, this was a welcome respite. It was, in some respects like taking a cruise of a smaller, less populated Sydney Harbor. In places homes stretched from the beach back up into the hills, many half hidden in the trees and foliage. In other areas the shore was untouched and pristine. Boats filled with weekend pleasure seekers and fishermen dotted the water along with jet skiers and an a few swimmers nearer the shore. On board our vessel it quickly became apparent that many of the people knew one another. The atmosphere was friendly and casual and a holiday party atmosphere prevailed. As the afternoon moved into early evening an excellent buffet was assembled on the main deck. With our plates piled high with food we sat out on the aft portion of the upper deck and watched the sun as it began it’s decent to the horizon. Dusk turned to darkness and it was past nine o’clock in the evening when we re-boarded our train for the return. And who should board the train with us? Santa Claus! Once the train was underway the partying continued and this was further enhanced as Santa passed through the train wishing everyone a Merry Christmas, and best wishes for the New Year.

The sound of the 3112 climbing out of Hawkesbury River up the Cowan Bank was superb, and was punctuated by a bit of drama as she lost her footing a couple of times. Once over the hill she was quickly back up to track speed. Racing back through the suburbs of Sydney, it was interesting to observe the reactions to our vintage train. To waiting passengers both young and old, it must have seemed like an apparition from another era as it flew through the many stations. The teenagers and twenty something’s on the platforms waved and seemed to enthusiastically greet it’s passing as something cool, if not strange, while the elderly took it in with a surprised look of recognition of something they had not seen in a long time. We eased into Sydney Central at 11:45 where, after watching the 3112 uncouple and prepare to take her train back to the shed, I reluctantly said goodbye to Joe and Peter before boarding a train back to Circular Quay and my hotel. It had been one of those rare and special days - one, which I owe in no small measure to the hospitality of Joe and Peter and their mates on the trip. As I plan our next visit to Australia I hope to be able to join them for another steam excursion - perhaps a Pub haul behind the 380l. Pub hauls combine a rail trip with visits to local pubs along the line, and as I have developed a taste for Australian beer I think it be rather fun to combine a few suds with steam railroading - and not be in violation of Rule G!

Although I have only scratched the surface of Australian railroading I hope Trainorders readers have enjoyed this account, and perhaps even been inspired to visit Down Under. Australia is a great country with wonderful people, an exciting landscape and facinating railroading. If indeed, you are considering a trip to the Sydney area and need some help in planning your itinerary, contact Joe by clicking on his name in the author block in one of his posts. He can give you the latest info on what’s happening in the area. In the meantime I can’t wait to return. Our next adventure will begin in Sydney and follow the rails west to the far side, and Perth. Who knows, somewhere between those two points I might, after enough Aussie brews, even acquire a taste for that legendary culinary icon revered by every Aussie, Vegemite on toast!

Africansteam

The 3112 contrasts with the City Link power on the adjacent track.

One of many meets with interurban trains.

Dropping down the Cowan Bank to Hawkesbury River.

Date: 03/27/06 20:40
Re: Aussie Adventure Part 5

The bridge at Berowra - approximately 2/3 of the way up from Sydney. Photo by Ducan Eagleton, courtesy Railpage Australia.

Our arrival at Hawkesbury River Station as seen from track level. Photo by Duncan Eagleton, courtesy Railpage Australia.

Our train departing Hawkesbury River for servicing and layover.

Date: 03/27/06 20:43

The MV Hawkesbury waits to board our group..

A view from the MV Hawkesbury.

The sun sets to our stern.

Date: 03/27/06 20:45

Santa pays a visit.

Photographer Matt Barros captures or train as it waits for regularly scheduled interban passenger at Cowan. I wonder if the elderly lady on the bench thought her train had arrived early? Photo courtesy Railpage Australia.

Departing Cowan, Joe, in the foreground and Peter indulge the author..

Date: 03/27/06 20:47
Author: Pullman

Love that whaleback tank car!

Date: 03/27/06 20:51

Its 11:39 at Sydney Central as Peter watches the 3112 uncouple from our train.

Our crew. Any resemblance on the part of chap on the right to one "Senior Vapor" is purely coincidental.

That's all Folks!
Africansteam

Date: 03/27/06 20:57

Pullman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Love that whaleback tank car!

Cool huh? its sor of a low profile version of an SP whaleback tender!

Cheers,
Africansteam

Date: 03/27/06 22:50
Author: Socks

Great pictures. Have not seen 3112 running in years, but then I live about 700 miles north of Sydney and never go down there. I remember in 1989 I got a couple of pics of 3801 and the Flying Scotsman when they arrived in Brisbane. If I can find them I will post.
Take Care,
Kind Regards from Socks, South East Queensland, Australia....

Date: 03/27/06 23:25
An explanation please
Author: jbwest

You said “going like a striped tailed ape”. I mean, does a striped tail add something to the ape's speed. Or? I mean there must be a story here. Could you please explain that a bit.

Great pix, sounds like you had fun, and hopefully my next trip to Oz will be half as much fun. I like the idea of the suds outings. I mean suds and steam. Does't get much better than that. Rule G? what is that. In SF when we switched the Acme brewry we always took our beans in their tasting room.

JBW

Date: 03/28/06 08:21
Re: An explanation please

jbwest Wrote:
> You said “going like a striped tailed ape”. I
> mean, does a striped tail add something to the
> ape's speed. Or? I mean there must be a story
> here. Could you please explain that a bit.
>
John, Harry owned The Cliff Line and manufactured HO scale model railroad equipment. The Cliff Line was located adjacent to the SP Coast Line in North Hollywood, California and had a view of the tracks. Harry always used the phrase to describe anything going really fast, but especially trains 90 and 91 (The Cosast Mail). As for why that particular animal had an edge on speed, I don't know. I don't rightly recall ever seeing one. :>)

Cheers,
Jack

Date: 03/28/06 08:25

Socks Wrote:
> Great pictures. Have not seen 3112 running in
> years, but then I live about 700 miles north of
> Sydney and never go down there. I remember in
> 1989 I got a couple of pics of 3801 and the Flying
> Scotsman when they arrived in Brisbane. If I can
> find them I will post.

Socks, glad you enjoyed the post. I am looking forward to your photos.

Thanks,
Jack

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0976 seconds