Home Open Account Help 333 users online

International Railroad Discussion > KTX Train Ride

Date: 02/23/10 04:28
KTX Train Ride
Author: redbaron88

My buddy and I waere asked if we would like to go on a trip last Saturday to pick up a car from Youngsung, ROK. A fellow Air Force member stationed here at Kunsan had his car shipped here and it broke down in Youngsung; so he wanted some company just incase it broke down again. We decided to take the 300 KM/H KTX from Ichon to Youngsung. We left the Air Base via taxi and made it to the station at 725 in the morning, with the next scheduled train leaving at 738. Wouldn't you know, they had 3 first class tickets availible and we would make the train. While we waited for it to promptly show at 738, I snapped a few pics of what I could.

We boarded the train to find out we were the only ones in this first class car. I snapped a few pictures along the way. It only took us 2 hours to reach Youngsung, making 5 stops along the way. The ride was very smooth and scenic. Above 200 KM/H the car seemed to pressurize a but and your ears pop like on a plane or going up in elevation. The car ride back, by the way, took 4 hours.

Anyways, here are a lil more that a few pics taken during the trip.

Date: 02/23/10 04:30
Re: KTX Train Ride

Outside waiting on train.

Date: 02/23/10 04:32

Our train pulling in and inside views including shot of the reading material.

Date: 02/23/10 04:35

Some freight engines.

Date: 02/23/10 04:37

Couple freight Cars.

Date: 02/23/10 04:38

Couple passenger and the TV showing our 300 KM/H, we actuallly got to 302 KM/H!

Date: 02/23/10 05:10
Author: GPutz

Thanks for posting. Very interesting! Gerry

Date: 02/23/10 05:37
Author: CFWRRCEO

WOW, thats some nice stuff. I really like the use of what appears to be kerosene switch lanterns. And those "standard cab" freight engines are a sight for sore eyes. More! Bob

Date: 02/23/10 12:52
Author: Ardenwood

Wow. I was born in Kunsan 79 years ago. The station in the fourth picture was called Ili back then.

Here are 1979 pictures of Mika3 (2-8-2) in the Kunsan port line (it is in color), of the Kunsan depot, and of the Kunsan port.

I echo Mr. Steinzeit's feeling. Quite a change! Thank you for posting very nice pictures.

Date: 02/23/10 13:30
Author: kushtaka

Excellent series of photos. Was there any sign of uneasiness with you photographing their infrastructure?

Date: 02/23/10 16:37
Author: bennator

Great pictures.....guess I'll have to make it up there sometime.

Date: 02/23/10 17:37
Author: Ardenwood

I am aware that kushtaka's question is directed to redbaron88, but let me respond as well. In 1979 on the second day in my birthtown a detective from the Kunsan Police Station paid me a visit in my hotel room and said (that is when I found out that I was tailed the day before) he did not want me to take so many pictures, especially using a movie camera. During my second visit in the 80's I was shooting a steam engine in Pusan and I was called in to a police box and had to show my passport.

Date: 02/23/10 17:50

I didn't get any sort of bad vibe and really didn't dawn on me that it would be a problem. I think since I was traveling with two other American members they probably more or less thought...look at the crazy American taking pictures of trains.

Date: 02/24/10 14:29
Author: NscaleMike

I see they celebrate Valentines day in Korea as well.

Thanks for sharing your images.

Date: 02/24/10 14:40
Author: Focalplane

Very interesting! Thanks!

Date: 03/31/10 20:05
Author: ProRail

Great pix. I was in Korea with the Peace Corps in 1973. Busses look pretty much the same, except for the A/C on the roof. Thanks for the memories.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0507 seconds