Home Open Account Help 330 users online

International Railroad Discussion > A glimpse of the C. F. Congo Ocean

Date: 11/18/12 02:29
A glimpse of the C. F. Congo Ocean
Author: Focalplane

Last week I was in Congo Republic (a.k.a. Congo Brazzaville) and spent several days looking at outcrops along the newly constructed Route Nationale 1 between Pointe Noire and Brazzaville. The road parallels the original connection between the two cities, the Chemin de Fer Congo Ocean (CFCO).

The CFCO was completed in 1934 with a cost in human lives of at least 17,000 laborers. Disease was the main cause of death. It is still in use with a daily departure of a passenger train as well as freight trains. Freight is being transferred to the new highway, in particular containers and lumber trucks. The latter are the most dangerous on the roads and tree trunks regularly slide off going round corners.

The first photo was a rare opportunity to actually see the track which is to 3' 6" gauge. It was taken near Mvouti. Needless to say I could not wait the hours needed to see a train go by!

The second photo shows the new road, now two years old and in remarkably good condition, thanks to the efforts of the Chinese contractor. It is an undivided four lane highway until it reaches Mvouti, though most drivers appear to be graduates from Tulane University (apologies to any alumni reading this). It is possible that the railway will continue to operate as the Chinese or Koreans (not sure which) are apparently planning to upgrade the line. Some new rolling stock has appeared in Pointe Noire, confirming this possibility.

Date: 11/19/12 11:29
Re: A glimpse of the C. F. Congo Ocean
Author: McKey

Thank you for interesting views!

& it is good to see some progress even "in the heart of darkness" (wasn't that Kongo?).

Date: 11/19/12 13:08
Re: A glimpse of the C. F. Congo Ocean
Author: Focalplane

John, thank you, though it really isn't much of a photo! The best I could do.

Kongo is the local name for the people who live close to the mouth of the Congo River, including Cabinda and Rep of Congo. They speak Kakongo which is related to the language Lingala which has a wider usage in the region, particularly in Kinshasa and Brazzaville.

To those who remember the break away civil war in Katanga Province (rich in minerals) the people in the south disdain those who speak Lingala and Kakongo.

BTW, I am no expert. I know only one word of Lingala!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0449 seconds