Home Open Account Help 331 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Personal Rapid Transit for Shibanxi, China

Date: 01/13/14 15:56
Personal Rapid Transit for Shibanxi, China
Author: africansteam

In the late 1960's my employer - Teledyne Systems Company, was part of a group of aerospace firms competing for a contract to furnish a guidance and control system for the PRT (Personal Rapid Transit) system for West Virginia University at Morgantown, West Virginia. If I recall correctly, a key element of our proposal was a sophisticated computer controlled guidance system incorporating a Strapdown Inertial Navigation System (INS) with its associated accelerometers and electronics. Alas, we did not get the contract. It was awarded to Boeing Vertol, but the project went ahead, and is still in use today.

Fast-forward to 2007 and Shibanxi, China where another form of PRT is in successful operation. The Shibanxi operation could be characterized more accurately as an RPM (Rural People Mover) and is unique in that it does not require any electronics, computers or inertial sensors. Indeed, those elements are all contained within the brain of the operator/passenger. Moreover, the Shibanxi operation has a fully functional, small-vehicle, customized origin to destination service -something that has eluded operations like Morgantown and Dallas-Ft. Worth Regional Airport.

The simplicity of the operation is shown in the accompanying illustrations.

Cheers,
Jack

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/14 19:31 by africansteam.

Date: 01/13/14 16:29
Re: Personal Rapid Transit for Shibanxi, China
Author: bearease

Hmmmm. That railroad's a "Basket Case!"

Date: 01/13/14 18:20
Author: agentatascadero

Just a minute there......I think those so called baskets are actually the precursors to the Amtrak fare-bucket system. Yes folks, those are fare buckets, I'm "sure of it". AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 01/13/14 20:21
Author: PHall

But does he have "Track and Time"?

Date: 01/14/14 00:30
Author: Focalplane

Reminds me of photos I have seen from the eastern D R Congo where freight is pushed along one rail of a no-longer-used railway line for up to 1,000 kilometers. Again the guidance system is totally supplied by the cycle-pusher's brain which also provides the necessary balance algorithms to prevent the bicycle from slipping off the rail. I'll see if I can get a copy of the photos to post!

Date: 01/14/14 17:20
Author: BobP

LOL.

Date: 01/14/14 20:52
Author: 567Chant

Unit Train, in the truest sense.
...Lorenzo

Date: 01/14/14 22:04
Author: sp5312

Talk about a wooden axle outfit..

Date: 01/17/14 08:44
Author: march_hare

Standing room only, just my normal ride on the subway.

Date: 01/24/14 21:46
Author: cashfare

Seen something like this in the Philippines also...not brave enough to ride one!

Date: 01/28/14 03:05
Author: Joe

I hope He did a risk assessment

Date: 02/02/14 00:37
Author: np2526

He does have to share track time with full size narrow gauge steam trains. Like in the Philippines, you just have to set off and clear the line when a real train approaches.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0414 seconds