Home Open Account Help 299 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Godo revisited

Date: 09/23/14 15:35
Godo revisited
Author: Railpax71

First class dining at Godo, Gunma, Japan along the Watarase Railroad. You order and pay for your meal at a ticket machine. Place the ticket on your table in the former EMU and a waiter brings your order. Self serve tea and water between the two retired cars used for the restaurant.

I had seen the cars from riding the Watarase but did not know the history until cchan006 comented on my pictorial in another thread:

"That EMU car might be from Tobu Railway's venerable 1720 series limited express set, the "Deluxe Romance Car (DRC)" used on the Kegon and Kinu, replaced by the Spacia in the 1990s."

Date: 09/30/14 21:22
Re: Godo revisited
Author: cchan006

Thanks for the report. The kanji for "Godo" is the same as Kobe, that big port city west of Osaka that suffered from a major earthquake in 1995. A bit of a challenge, if someone is trying to do an Internet search in Japanese and allow the computer to replace the search term with kanji characters.

Name of the restaurant is "Seiryu" and here's their official site, for those who are interested:

http://www.watetsu.com/seiryu.html

Date: 10/04/14 16:49
Re: Godo revisited
Author: Railpax71

The link is actually into a page on the Watarase Railroad website. I have yet to find a place to buy their mascot. Japan is big into mascots and the crew all had them hanging from their belts and you see it on the website.

I definitely will visit again as the photo on the webpage shows many Sakura and Ume in blossoms. I also hope to ride the excursion train so I can view the fall color coming up. More photos soon.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0289 seconds