Home Open Account Help 150 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Snpw Shorts Out Shinkansen - Japan

Date: 12/15/14 13:49
Snpw Shorts Out Shinkansen - Japan
Author: dlh

Date: 12/17/14 16:10
Re: Snpw Shorts Out Shinkansen - Japan
Author: cchan006

FYI, Gala-Yuzawa station, a winter-only Shinkansen terminus near the location mentioned (between Echigo-Yuzawa and Urasa) is a HSR ski resort station, one of the very few, if not the only one in the world.

The nasty winter storms typically approach from the Japan Sea side and dump snow on this side (Niigata side, instead of Tokyo side) of the mountains, so while that's great for ski resorts, it could present challenges to transportation infrastructure. It's also in this area where the snow-fighting sprinklers splash water along the ROW and the passing Shinkansen trains.

Minakami, where Railpax71 and I have posted reports, is on the Tokyo side of the mountains. While the snow accumulation is much less on that side, weather can change quickly and dramatically on a moment's notice. I was enjoying some sunshine in March in Takasaki when SL Minakami departed, but by the time I arrived in Minakami, there were strong winds and snow splashing against the expensive lenses of Japanese railfans, making photography rather challenging.

Date: 12/18/14 13:23
Author: DavidP

Just back from a quick trip to Japan which included a Yokahama - Osaka Shinkansen. Had a few flurries in Ome Tuesday and Osaka Wednesday, but nothing like what they received on the other side of the mountains.

Dave

Date: 12/22/14 04:25
Author: crusader5619

Snpw? Gaelic for snow?

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0342 seconds