Home Open Account Help 276 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Jomo Electric Railway on Watarase crossing

Date: 12/22/14 13:38
Jomo Electric Railway on Watarase crossing
Author: Railpax71

The Jomo Electric Railway operates an interurban type operation over 25 km of track between Nishi Kiryu and Maebashi in Gunma Prefecture, Japan. The one major river crossing is the Watarase just outside Kiryu. There is a frequent schedule of trains running one direction or the other every 15 minutes. The bridge in the background carries the JR Ryomo line and the Watarase Railroad.

Date: 12/22/14 23:26
Re: Jomo Electric Railway on Watarase crossing

Two more of a different train set today. I have to see if the Christmas train is decorated on the inside.

Date: 12/24/14 13:09
Author: Steinzeit

When I saw the end profile of these Jomo units I thought "That's a familiar face..." and so it is: These are ex KTR [ Keio ] cars, their former 3000 series. But I think the KTR units as built were formed of a pair of control trailers sandwiching a pair of motor cars -- but the Jomo obviously has motor cars with cabs. Was a cab added to the motor cars or vice versa ? If the former it certainly was neatly done, not easy to do in stainless.

These two photos were taken in '71; note the disc brakes, and the experimental a/c installation on one.

With best regards, SZ

Date: 12/24/14 15:22

As built they were 3m2t and in their current configuration 1m1t. The Wikipedia article hints that they were "knitted" with the control face. 24 cars became 8 two car sets for one man operation. Next trip I have to look closely for details if they were kitbashed.

Date: 12/25/14 21:48
Author: cchan006

Railpax71 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Two more of a different train set today. I have
> to see if the Christmas train is decorated on the
> inside.

While running through Tokyo's urban jungle on the Keio Inokashira Line, the 3000 series never saw scenery this good. Thanks for the great coverage of these train sets still in service.

Date: 12/25/14 22:08
Author: cchan006

Steinzeit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When I saw the end profile of these Jomo units I
> thought "That's a familiar face..." and so it is:
> These are ex KTR [ Keio ] cars, their former 3000
> series. But I think the KTR units as built were
> formed of a pair of control trailers sandwiching a
> pair of motor cars -- but the Jomo obviously has
> motor cars with cabs. Was a cab added to the
> motor cars or vice versa ? If the former it
> certainly was neatly done, not easy to do in
> stainless.
>
> These two photos were taken in '71; note the disc
> brakes, and the experimental a/c installation on
> one.
>
> With best regards, SZ

It's quite possible that the modification for the control trailers into motor cars were done by Keio (and the manufacturer Tokyu Sharyo) before the cars were shipped to Jomo. I suspect the motorized components were swapped into the control trailer body/chassis.

Gakunan Railway in Shizuoka Prefecture has some single car 3000 series with cabs on both ends, so for those, the cabs were most likely "stitched" at least on one end. I suppose I might have to add that railroad to my list of places to visit.

The 3000 series originally were 4 car sets 2M2T with the trailers at the ends as you stated, but due to high ridership, they became 5 car sets, 3M2T in the early to mid 1970s, I think.

Thanks for posting those photos of the 3000 series departing Shibuya! What makes them even more interesting are the Eidan Subway (now Tokyo Metro) Ginza Line cars in the background.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/14 22:26 by cchan006.

Date: 12/25/14 23:41

The 712-722 was on shop trucks but in a good position to photo the kitbashed 1M facing left and the original trailer 1T facing right when I visited the Ogo shops today. According to my guide, Keio still does the heavy maintenance on the cars. These were built as 3M2T and now 1M1T.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/14 00:10 by Railpax71.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0591 seconds