Home Open Account Help 345 users online

International Railroad Discussion > New South Wales F unit 2 cabs

Date: 02/25/15 15:39
New South Wales F unit 2 cabs
Author: bakersfielddave

There are a few videos floating around of the very recent return to service of loco # 42101 built in 1966/67

it has the standard F unit cab but also has a full control cab at the other end but of a flat design something like a bus !

worth a look if you have never seen one of these rare machines

they may be unique to Australia

here is another of the series when in service

Date: 02/25/15 16:51
Re: New South Wales F unit 2 cabs
Author: DKay

I think there were only 6 of those. Apparently the noise in the cab (flat end) was horrific, and unions banned them from leading.
I used to watch them attacking Jindalee bank ,heading north out of Cootamundra.They sure sounded sweet from outside.
Regards,DK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/15 16:54 by DKay.

Date: 02/25/15 23:02
Author: dwatry

Alco exported these locomotives to a number of different countries. I believe in addition to Australia, the list includes Spain, Argentina, Peru, Iraq, Greece, India and Pakistan. There may be others. I shot photos of some in Spain in 1991.

Date: 02/26/15 00:04
Author: Megafuggley

Only 10 units built (by EMD licensee Clyde Engineering) #42101-42110.

Date: 02/26/15 00:08
Author: Megafuggley

These are EMD's (not Alco's) You are thinking of the ALCO DL-500B

Date: 02/26/15 17:18
Author: dwatry

Ah yes correct. I was thinking of the Alco export model. They look similar from the rear!

Date: 03/12/15 00:26
Author: rschonfelder

There also was a similar design with the NSWGR called a 42 class. The one you've posted about is called a 421 class. They look very similar. At a guess, I think the 42 class left the roster in the 1984 sort of area.

FWIW, both of these models have been covered in the recent (ie. last 15 years) growth of Chinese production of HO models. If you want to look in more detail at the 421, Auscision Models covers the various liveries this loco went into. They are expecting these to come in in June/July. With the deregulation of Aussie Rails coming in the early naughties, some very interesting liveries appeared on the 421 - in particular, the Northern Rivers scheme.

http://www.auscisionmodels.com.au/421%20Class%20Locomotive.htm

Rick

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0673 seconds