Home Open Account Help 354 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Mexican railroad ownership

Date: 05/07/15 15:53
Mexican railroad ownership
Author: tp117

This may have been covered before but I'd like to know who really owns, or has control of, the three big Mexican RRs, KCSM, FXE & FES and also TVFM which seems to be a terminal switching railroad around Mexico City. And the old CH-P which may be a part of FXE. I know that obviously KCS owns a lot of KCSM, and UP part of FXE, and FXE has some relationship with FES. And TVFM, is it owned in part by the other Mexican 'big three' and open to reciprocal switching to the other three? I also think the Mexican Government  still owns some percentage of each, or has the ability to regain some control of all of these railroads. Websites are not too helpful with ownership issues, at least to the extent I have tried to pursue. Thanks to all.

Date: 05/08/15 09:05
Re: Mexican railroad ownership
Author: SOO6617

The Mexican Government owns the underlying track, but concessions the operations and maintenance of the network into three line-haul concessions, plus the terminal railway in the Mexico City area. Ferrosur is controlled 100% by Grupo Mexico SA. Ferromex is controlled 74% by Grupo Mexico SA and 26% by Union Pacific Corp. (parent of Union Pacific RR). KCS de Mexico is now owned 100% by Kansas City Southern, but originally split with TMM which got into a cash crunch. These are 50 Year concessions which began in 1996. Ferrovalle is controlled by the three line-haul companies jointly. The Chihuahua Pacifico line is owned by Ferromex, but the El Chepe passenger train is operated by Chihuahua Pacifico through the Copper Canyon.

Date: 05/08/15 17:42
Re: Mexican railroad ownership
Author: tp117

Thanks a lot SOO6617, but who owns Groupo Mexico?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1268 seconds