Home Open Account Help 239 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Back to Nasu-Shiobara (Japan)

Date: 05/30/15 22:24
Back to Nasu-Shiobara (Japan)
Author: cchan006

Last April and October, I visited the Nasu-Shiobara Station in Tochigi Prefecture to catch the E5 and E6 Shinkansen sets taking the curve at 196 mph. I also went one station north to Kuroiso to catch some JR Freight action.

I had originally planned to catch the Super Rail Cargo and Fukuyama Rail Express near Kawasaki on Sunday, 5/17/2015, my second day in Japan, but I lucked out and caught both of them the day before, so I had a free day. I slept in (waking up at 7 am instead of 4 am) and lazily headed north on the Tohoku Shinkansen to chase another freight train I couldn't catch due to the October typhoon, which I'll report on later.

I had about extra 20 minutes after I arrived at Nasu-Shiobara, so I recorded some random video. First clip is a Tokyo-bound Shinkansen E5 + E6 set, and second clip is a Yamagata/Morioka-bound E3+E2 set, blasting through Nasu-Shiobara.

I overheard the crossing bells go off below, and also heard the warning announcement that Tokyo-bound Shinkansen was about to pass the station, so I rushed to the north end of the platform and got the third clip, Sapporo to Tokyo Freight Train #3064 being "passed" by Shinkansen Hayate #112. #3064 is being led by the venerable EF66, in the second generation 100 series carbody. Hayate #112 uses the E2 set, not coupled to any other set, running by itself.

I went downstairs to the "zairai-sen" (conventional, non-Shinkansen rail line) platform to catch more action while waiting for my chase target to show up. I caught a light engine move (EF65 electric locomotive) heading to Kuroiso, fourth clip.

The fun didn't stop there. I heard a familiar American V8 rumbling while waiting for a Tohoku Line local to depart north out of Nasu-Shiobara. After the renewed 205 Series EMU departs, you get to see some interesting Japanese Sunday drivers in the fifth and final clip: Lotus Super 7, Datsun Roadster, Shelby Cobra, and a 5th generation Nissan Skyline.

- Shinkansen E5 set blasting by Nasu-Shiobara.
- Video as described above.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/15 09:26 by cchan006.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0454 seconds