Home Open Account Help 247 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Bolivian steam on the Altiplano 1966

Date: 06/10/15 17:33
Bolivian steam on the Altiplano 1966
Author: photobob

On a ride from Oruro to La Paz Boivia in 1966 we stopped in the middle of nowhere to service our engine. How could a railfan be drafted into the US Army and be sent to South America as a photographer? Talk about a gravy assignment. What did you do during the war Daddy?

Robert Morris Photography

Date: 06/10/15 21:43
Re: Bolivian steam on the Altiplano 1966
Author: railstiesballast

Everyone who served gave two or more years of their life for the nation and everyone understood this service could become dangerous and the risk was accepted as part of the deal.
In my case those nearly 3 years meant a late start on my earnings trajectory (compared to my peers who graduated and went straight to work), and like Bob, a "soft" assignment.
But for others I knew it was highly risky and a few did not come back.
We all knew  that orders could come at any time until nearly our ETS (End of Time in Service), a date we never lost track of.
So thank you Bob for "showing up", you did the right thing, and yes you were lucky and we're glad for that.
And you share some great history with all of us.

Date: 06/11/15 19:20
Re: Bolivian steam on the Altiplano 1966
Author: Lurch_in_ABQ

Estimated Time of Separation. With emphasis on "Estimated," but in no way contractual.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0246 seconds