Home Open Account Help 341 users online

International Railroad Discussion > South African Tourist Class

Date: 06/20/15 21:07
South African Tourist Class
Author: phlone

Does anyone have recent experience traveling Tourist Class in SA?   I'm curious about the condition of the coaches and the quality of the restaurant cars, primarily on the Johanesburg-Cape Town route.
Scheduling will not permit taking Blue Train or Priemier service.

Date: 06/21/15 17:42
Re: South African Tourist Class
Author: andersonb109

While I haven't experienced this first hand, I am a member of a Yahoo discussion group on South African railways. From everything I read, you can expect the following:  Reasonably clean coaches and fresh bedding which is provided in a package that you then make up yourself. Food is pretty bad. Service is of a low standard...nothing like SAR of the "former times."  Don't expect the heat or AC to work and do expect the trains to run very late including some bustitutions. I've read many "never again" stories but also the occasional decent trip. And the price is right.  If you could work in a Premiere Class service on your trip, that has gotten much better reviews but still suffers from old worn out equipment and of course like here, at the mercy of the owners of the lines with freight interference and bad track. However service on the Premiere Class is of a much higher standard. Hope this helps. Perhaps someone with recent actual experience can further elaborate. Although I find that most from overseas stick with Rovos Rail or Blue Train.

Date: 06/23/15 13:15
Re: South African Tourist Class
Author: phlone

I last travelled there in 1984.  Thanks for the feedback.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.033 seconds