Home Open Account Help 202 users online

International Railroad Discussion > SQM Chile electric update

Date: 07/17/15 10:21
SQM Chile electric update
Author: PERichardson

We were up north in early March and spent March 2 on the Barriles to Tocopilla electric operation of SQM.  Loads operate westbound, empties eastbound.  They were down to one operable box cab, with the new electrics holding down most freights.  There were four new ones in service and the fifth has recently joined the roster.  Traffic is down appreciably so they are running shorter trains to avoid laying off crews.  Even so there are usually only 2-3 round trips daily.  Here are a few images from March 2, 2015

1.  654E leaving Tocopilla with the first train of the day.

2.  Same train coming through Quillagua.

3.  Same train at the substation near Barriles, where the electric operation ends.  From there, diesels will take the train to the processing plants at Maria Elena and Coya Sur.

Date: 07/17/15 10:28
Re: SQM Chile electric update

4.  At Barriles yard, 652W is ready to head down the mountain to the port at Tocopilla.  The diesel,  GE/EMD #1202 is dead and being returned to the port after maintenance at Maria Elena shops.  The box cab in the background was inoperable.

5.  Surprise at Quillagua!    652West meets the remaining operable box cab 603 on an eastbound.  With that we abandoned the chase of 652W and followed the 603 back to Barriles.

6.  603E near Quillagua.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/15 12:15 by masterphots.

Date: 07/17/15 10:30

7.  And for the last shot of the day, a glint of 603E as it nears Barriles.  And this might be the last photo I take of the 90 year old box cabs, but one never knows.

Date: 07/17/15 15:15
Author: pedrop

Fantastic locations and trains. That is the location I want to visit. How to go there from Santiago? Is it a railroad for fertilizers only?

Pedro Rezende
Vespasiano MG,
https://youtube.com/c/minasgeraisrailways1

Date: 07/17/15 17:49

pedrop Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fantastic locations and trains. That is the
> location I want to visit. How to go there from
> Santiago? Is it a railroad for fertilizers only?

Yes, haul fertilizers only.  Fly from Santiago to Antofagasta, then drive about two hours north to Tocopilla and there you are.  The line has a switchback, pretty much inaccessible by car, as it comes down the side of the mountain to the port.  The photos I posted are all easily reached by normal auto.   Hotel, restaurants in Tocopilla.

East from Barriles the diesels take over and the line is flat to Maria Elena.  Diesels used are a pair of GE U9C/U12C and two former South African Rys U20Cs.  There is also an SW1200M used on the train between Maria Elena and Coya Sur. 

A second mine/plant is at Pedro Valdivia, where there are three former CNR NF210s and some SW1200Ms.   No access to this location so photos are few and far between.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/15 17:55 by masterphots.

Date: 07/17/15 18:05

Hi Alan, thanks for more these hints. The switchbacks looks very nice to watch. I will plan my trip there in 2016.

Pedro Rezende
Vespasiano MG,

Date: 07/17/15 20:32
Author: inCHI

Great images. Those new electrics look a bit toy-like, being so short and riding sort of high on the trucks. I didn't realize this line was just for fertilizer, for some reason I was thinking it also hauled ore. Is there another electric line that is hauling ore to port?

Date: 07/18/15 07:38

inCHI Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great images. Those new electrics look a bit
> toy-like, being so short and riding sort of high
> on the trucks. I didn't realize this line was just
> for fertilizer, for some reason I was thinking it
> also hauled ore. Is there another electric line
> that is hauling ore to port?

Many tight curves so most everything is short, although the newer Brazilian hoppers are longer.  This is the only electric line-haul operation in Chile.  Codelco, the biggest copper producer, has an extensive electric operation at their El Teniente mine south of Santiago but only within the mine/smelter.  No photo access these days, unfortunately.  They also have two NRE gensets there, which are reportedly haven't seen use in a couple of years.  Codelco also has a small electric operation at their Salvador mine up north, where the oldest electric in Chile, built in 1925, operates.  Again, only within the mine property.

Date: 07/18/15 08:42
Author: 86235

Nice to know that one of the locos that was in service when my grandfather worked for the FCTT is still in service. Great set Alan.

Date: 07/19/15 10:59
Author: retcsxcfm

Alan,
I enjoy pictures from foreign countries for two reasons.First,the locomotive and car variety.
Second,the background/landsacpe.In your shots,I cannot believe how barren the landscape
is.Not even a green weed.
Are you going to Birmingham?

U.J.Oates

Date: 07/19/15 17:34

Yes, the desert in Chile and bolivia looks like Mars' landscape.

Pedro Rezende
Vespasiano MG,

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0569 seconds