Home Open Account Help 366 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Peru GT46ACe

Date: 08/18/15 21:49
Peru GT46ACe
Author: jmt

Check out the thread at Eastern Railroads
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?2,3817070,3817115#msg-3817115
15 locos in the order

Plus from other groups It looks like a batch of PR built GPL38S is on the way to Saudi Arabia

Which makes a change, the last SRO order for this type was built by NRE

Date: 08/18/15 22:16
Re: Peru GT46ACe
Author: MitchGDRMCo

GT42AC is it not?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/15 22:17 by MitchGDRMCo.

Date: 08/18/15 22:56

Please don't shoot the messenger!

Went back and counted engine compartment doors on photos of GT46ACe in Brazil, Chile and Gabon

The Peru units have less and look shorter

GT38ACe built so far have had the Dynamic brake forward, not aft

Could this be the first GT42ACe?

Date: 08/19/15 02:08

EMD/Progress Rail lists them as GT42ACs and the others (GT38AC, GT46AC and GT50AC) don't carry the 'e' suffix either. Would guess they're the first GT42ACs built for a customer. Wonder why EMD hasn't bothered to offer the GT42CU-ACe to non Australian customers.

Date: 08/19/15 07:42

MitchGDRMCo Wrote:
Wonder why EMD hasn't bothered to offer the GT42CU-ACe to non Australian customers.

If it is built to 120 tonnes like the Downer examples, with the truss frame concealed in the hood, then who in their right mind would want one?

Now that Aurizon owns the Queensland coal network, and politicians are no longer playing with freight trains, Aurizon is no longer constrained by the ridiculous government imposed weight limitations that begat the GT42CU-AC (ultra lightweight frame with the truss frame in the hood sides carrying part of the load, and extensive use of lightweight materials which added to the cost of the loco). Now that Aurizon are to quit Redbank, there will be no requirement to ferry coal locos south for repair

Assuming that Aurizon is unimpressed with the GE PowerHaul prototypes, the logical choice will be the GT46AC. Why muck around with 12 cylinders and 3030HP, when you can have 4400?

Andean railways (Miners Las Bambas is at 4000 meters) don't require high horsepower, as the locos are geared down to low speeds. What is curious is that Miners Las Bambas is owned by Australian resident MMG. In turn MMG is Chinese owned, the major shareholder (74%) is China Minmetals Non-ferrous Metals Co. Ltd. (CMN), a subsidiary of China Minmetals Corporation (CMC). CMC is a Chinese state-owned enterprise. Which says a lot re Chinese locos when Chinese Government entities purchase EMD 

Date: 08/19/15 09:15

Was waiting for that, change of ownership won't change the loading gauge!

Date: 08/19/15 16:10

Move on

The central Qld coal network is at least 24 tonne/axle

Aurizon is in the game of creating wealth, and paying shareholder dividends. Unlike Qld politicians (of both political persuasions), who played at trains to garner votes, and still waste millions of dollars of taxpayer's money subsidising long distance passenger rail.

We are both aware that Aurizon will have halved the QRN headcount and culled at least 150 lightweight, narrow gauge, not fit for commercial purpose locos by mid 2018, and will be approaching the per employee profitability levels at PN. As a shareholder I applaud their actions

Date: 08/19/15 18:32

At best the GT46CU-ACe will show up in the CQ coal fields, at worst they'll keep on doing what they've always been doing. Clearly they don't need a huge fuel tank in Peru either.

Date: 08/20/15 06:44
Author: PERichardson

Seeing this is about 45 miles southwest of Cusco,  I assume they'll run trains to the mainline at Cusco?   Seems like big locos for a mine railroad only.  The road from Cusco to the mine area doesn't look too promising from my map.  lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/15 06:49 by masterphots.

Date: 08/23/15 07:39

Minera Las Bambas is the former Xstrata project that the Chinese Government forced Glencore into selling to them, in exchange for approving of the Glencore-Xstrata merger in 2014

The Chinese then warehoused ownership with MMG in Melbourne, Australia. If you follow the money trail backward MMG is ultimately controlled by China Minmetals Corporation, an organ controlled by the Assets Supervision and Administration Commission of the State Council (SASAC 國資委)

It would appear that the locos have 2011 serials, so the order was probably placed by Xstrata, prior to Chinese sovereign ownership

The mine is situated in extremely difficult terrain at an altitude of about 4000 meters above sea level, 70km south west of Cuzco. There is an extensive conveyor network moving ore several kilometers from at least 3 separate open cuts to the reduction facility. The concentrate (400K tonnes/annum for the first 5 years), will then be loaded into sealed pots and trucked over 250km to an intermodal siding at Pillones, north east of Arequipa, then railed around 295km to the port of Matarani
https://www.perurail.com/cargo_en/our_equipments.html

Minera Las Bambas has purchased the rail package on PeruRails behalf to speed up the acquisition
http://www.mmg.com/en/Investors-and-Media/News/2015/06/10/Las-Bambas-rail-transportation-agreement-signed.aspx

Date: 08/25/15 20:33
Author: alamode

The order was for GT42AC, there is no "e". I do not know what the builder's plate says.

Date: 08/28/15 22:20
Author: DWBrown

JMT, no new railroad, but new trains on the former Peru Southern, now Perurail underutilized mainline to the Matarani. I will have to look at my notes to see where in the timetable Pilliones is, but IIRR it near Cusco about a hour travel on the train. So this will bring some good business to Perurail with new equipment that will not be trying to keep the Alcos and EMDs still running off these priority trains. Seems that some upgrades to mainline will be needed?

Dale Brown

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0725 seconds