Home Open Account Help 364 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Signal Sunday - Japan edition

Date: 08/23/15 18:34
Signal Sunday - Japan edition
Author: jonjonjonjon

Here are some photos of signals I saw while in Japan - and a few questions......

The first 2 a re PRR-like position light signals I saw all over, but I couldn't figure their purpose since they co-existed with color-light signals and those seemed to control traffic. In some cases, these PL signals would be just hundreds of feet from each other.
The sencond shot is in the Hankyu line, showing some interesting cropping of signal targets.

Date: 08/23/15 18:37
Re: Signal Sunday - Japan edition

3 more....
Grade crossings had these devices that looked like security cameras and what I imagine were detectors to determine if the crossing was blocked.
The pentagon-shaped signals seemed to be near crossings and bridges.
The 3rd photo is an interesting cantilever signal 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/15 06:36 by jonjonjonjon.

Date: 08/26/15 18:58
Author: cchan006

What I've found out so far while digging information is that position signals are often placed in locations where visibility could be a challenge, and they are often used as intermediates in Japan. I'll have to pay more attention next time I visit.

Thanks for the fascinating report.

Date: 08/27/15 04:05

Here's what I've learned from the internet and helpful TO'ers...
The position light signals are repeater indications linked to the next home signal. They are informative only and not for train control.
The pentagon shaped signals are flashing red obstruction warning signals that are placed around slide fences, grade crossings, tunnels etc. They flash red when activated.
The various switching signals remain a mystery...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.3339 seconds