Home Open Account Help 357 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Chile to Argentina line to open next week

Date: 11/22/15 05:00
Chile to Argentina line to open next week
Author: PERichardson

The line from Antofagasta, Chile to Salta,  Argentina over Socompa Pass is set to open in the next week or so.  First train was to depart November 24 but is delayed "a few days" according to today's paper.  Initially they plan to run one train a week with mineral traffic.  Ferronor and Belgrano Cargo will operate the trains in Chile and Argentina respectively.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/15 03:34 by masterphots.

Date: 11/22/15 07:40
Re: Chile to Argentina line to open next week
Author: GPutz

So, it's really going to happen.  Thanks for the update.  Please keep us informed of progress.  Gerry

Date: 11/22/15 17:30
Author: mukinduri

Mostly off topic but here goes.

Forty years ago I took that train from Antofogasta to the Argentine border. Most of the passengers seemed to be smugglers of one type or another. I got off at the border. The Chilean border post was deserted but I pursuaded the Argentine border guards let me sleep on their living room floor. (On other occasions I have had unpleasant run-ins with the Argentine border security forces during the era of the Argentine military junta, so in retrospect this wasn't such a good idea.)

The next day I set off to climb  the 6031 meter high Volcan Socompa. It was tougher than I thought so turned back before the summit. I then spent a day at that bleak, cold and windswept border post waiting for the next train back to Antofogasta.

i wonder how the border post looks now. If anyone is able to ride on the newly reopened line please post a photo.

Date: 11/27/15 14:03
Author: jmt

http://www.elintransigente.com/salta/2015/11/24/rotura-balanza-postergan-lanzamiento-tren-chile-argentina-354706.html

No working certified wagon scale east of Salta. Salta scale unserviceable. Argentine customs bureaucracy unable to function without certified weights, so line will remain closed. Perhaps the incoming Argentinean right wing president can knock heads together, clean out the neanderthal political appointees, and rewrite the Customs regulations

Date: 11/29/15 02:48
Author: PERichardson

Hadn't seen that in the paper here.  Actually the new President is slightly to the right of center, but will be an improvement in any event.  Now if he can just get Argentines to pay required taxes (good luck with that) the government might become a bit more solvent.  As far as Socompa,  Belgrano is the weak link;  of all railways over there it's the most militant as to labor,  and tends to accomplish little.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/15 02:49 by masterphots.

Date: 12/01/15 10:31
Author: exopr

What gauge is this line?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/15 10:33 by exopr.

Date: 12/01/15 20:12
Author: airbrakegeezer

exopr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What gauge is this line?

One meter (3ft. 3-3/8 inches).

Roger Lewis (airbrakegeezer)

Date: 12/08/15 00:58

Ramal C14 bridge washed out on the 6th
http://www.larazon.com.ar/actualidad/Salta-cayo-puente-Tren-Nubes_0_740400117.html
http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1851947-salta-se-cayo-un-puente-en-la-zona-del-tren-a-las-nubes

Bridge is on the south western outskirts of Salta

Rainy season (Bolivian Winter) lasts untill March, so don't expect repairs to start before then

Date: 12/08/15 15:15
Author: pedrop

Good news. I hope to see trains running there during my visit to Argentina (Salta) in 2016. I also plan to visit CHile in the same year.

Pedro Rezende
Vespasiano MG,
https://youtube.com/c/minasgeraisrailways1

Date: 12/08/15 17:25

Two GT22C and 5 Tren a las Nubes passenger carriages stranded at Campo Quijano, on the western side of the washout

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0455 seconds