Home Open Account Help 348 users online

International Railroad Discussion > South African info needed about Meerhof

Date: 01/16/16 19:31
South African info needed about Meerhof
Author: TCnR

Following Masterphot's interesting tour of South African Steam I though I would continue the theme with some photos and questions.

In 2012 while on a business Trip into South Africa I had an afternoon to explore the area around Hartbeesport, west of Pretoria. Having noticed an abandoned RR grade I found an area called Meerhof and an abandoned passenger platform. It appears to have water at either end of the platform area, perhaps a mainline and two side tracks and then a decent sized thru truss bridge over a small river named the Krocodilrivier.

Not having the history available to me, a few questions for those who know this area, when would this have been abandoned? This appears to have been another steam area but what type, or until when? How much traffic, was this an independent RR that was obsoleted by it's route through the mountains and valleys? A commuter line since it leads to Pretoria? A 'Green Acres' style branch winding through the ranches and farms?

The route appears to be from Pretoria parallel to what is now Highway 4. Then it can be followed near R401, across the Skeerpoortrivier and then into Hekpoort. I lose the trail in the new farms but it would appear to be following the Magliesrivier and then into Magliesburg where it appears to find another right of way of some sort. Any info would be interesting, but it was an interesting exploration for an afternoon.

#1 shows the bridge over the Krocodilerivier where it enters the reservoir; with new housing in the background and the Hartbeespoort Reservoir in full algea bloom;

#2 and #3 show the water pipe structures at either end of the platform; note the elevated rail in #3;

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/16 20:03 by TCnR.

Date: 01/16/16 19:32
Re: South African info needed about Meerhof
Author: TCnR

Meerhof and Hartbeespoort are in a hilly area between the Pretoria and Johannesburg areas and the mining areas to the west. I don't know the area too well but did get a quick circular road trip through Brits and Rustenburg. The area to the west is listed as a World Heritage site. The area has a number of battle sites from the Boer War. Hartbeespoort is considerd a vacation area, although it is rapidly becoming a bedroom community with a Toll Road leading into Pretoria. Any info or comments would be interesting.

#4 photo shows metal cross-ties dated 1938, I'm sure there's another name for these;

#5 the platform area, appearing very civilised and orderly for such a distant place;

#6 the west end of the platform area with intact switch throws (wouldn't fit in carry-on), the curve leads to the bridge shown in #1; an older house and property is between the curve and the reservoir, to the left are new houses on the hillside that can be seen on Google Streetveiw;

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/16 19:59 by TCnR.

Date: 01/17/16 11:12
Re: South African info needed about Meerhof
Author: retcsxcfm

I love abandoned rail lines like you found.Great pictures.I have in the back
of my mind finding locations such as this.I liken it to finding man made
structures where no man has been.

Uncle Joe,Seffner,Fl.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/16 11:14 by retcsxcfm.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0539 seconds