Home Open Account Help 389 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Crossing gates by hand Norfolk UK

Date: 11/13/16 00:05
Crossing gates by hand Norfolk UK
Author: bakersfielddave

With reference to my earlier posts on trains on the rural  lines in Norfolk here are a few scenes at Brundall of the manually operated gates

does anyone know of  or can compare this working  to a similar  location in North America past or present  ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/16 00:06 by bakersfielddave.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 11/13/16 01:47
Re: Crossing gates by hand Norfolk UK
Author: dcfbalcoS1

Not in the present time, no railroad in America would spend money on such a thing that can be done with electronics I'm sure.   Exception, maybe a tourist railroad, maybe.

Date: 11/13/16 15:28
Author: BobB

Fifty years ago hand-operated gates were not unusual on commuter lines; I remember seeing them both in Oak Park, Illinois (outside of Chicago) and on the Rockport line from North Station, Boston.  I have also heard people discussing their use for active crossings (including freight lines) in other large cities.  The gates, of course, were of the American type--one tall shaft that stands erect except when actually stopping traffic--rather than the pasture-gate version that you showed and that appears to be common in Europe.

Date: 11/15/16 06:26
Author: MEKoch

Who pays the salary/benefits of the three shifts of gatemen in the 24 hour day?

Date: 11/15/16 14:43
Author: J.Ferris

MEKoch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Who pays the salary/benefits of the three shifts
> of gatemen in the 24 hour day?

NetworkRail.

J.

Date: 11/15/16 15:46
Author: Chooch

Old world technology.

Jim
Hatboro, PA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0257 seconds