Home Open Account Help 212 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Tracks are back at Oshi, Japan

Date: 05/28/17 18:24
Tracks are back at Oshi, Japan
Author: Railpax71

Oshi, Gunma prefecture is the end of a former branchline from Naganohara on the Agatsuma line. JR built the branch in 1954 to serve the huge bunkers holding iron ore brought by tramway from a mine on Mt Shirane. Up to five passenger DMU trains operated on the branch daily until 1971 when the iron deposits exhausted and the branch pulled up. Last year I visited おおし after construction crews had removed the vegetation from the old ore bunkers. Yesterday I visited again and saw the relaid tracks. The plan is a static display of JR equipment that operated on the branch. Naganohara has also constructed a heliport and parking area above the structure, and plans call for a childrens playground. The Shirasuna River (White Sand) is very scenic and I will be back to check progress.

Date: 05/31/17 20:50
Re: Tracks are back at Oshi, Japan
Author: 2472Don

Outstanding, RJ... and the B&W photos are a fitting touch!

2472Don
Manoa Valley, O'ahu

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/17 20:51 by 2472Don.

Date: 06/01/17 02:50
Author: Railpax71

I decided to shoot real film in addition to digita so those are real b&w imagesl. Shooting ASA 400 35mm film requires the same digital skills in the early resolutions. Compose the scene close with little margin for cropping. Benefit is not standing over trays of chemicals and wasted paper to make the print with the right exposure and contrast!

Date: 06/01/17 06:20
Author: 2472Don

Railpax71 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I decided to shoot real film in addition to digita
> so those are real b&w imagesl. Shooting ASA 400
> 35mm film requires the same digital skills in the
> early resolutions. Compose the scene close with
> little margin for cropping. Benefit is not
> standing over trays of chemicals and wasted paper
> to make the print with the right exposure and
> contrast!

I am a retired "Tori-tetsu" so in the early days, I shot projects using 400 ASA film in my Canon 35mm camera. B+W Film has a certain quality to it, so my hunch was that this was "film" rather than "digital".

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0467 seconds