Home Open Account Help 368 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Finse Today

Date: 06/27/17 07:43
Finse Today
Author: mp16

I just saw the noon train from Oslo arrive and depart at Finse. For the first time in many days a good crowd was on the train. I would say the webcamera showed at least 100 people getting off to
take pictures. The weather today is wonderful with clear skies and sunshine. It was difficult to determine if any passengers detrained to actually stay at Finse as it appears all who got off jumped back on to head to Bergen. It appears the hotel is closed. The train had eight cars and one engine. I hope this trend continues

Date: 06/27/17 08:26
Re: Finse Today
Author: Arkeytek

First, I caught this train as well; at least one person got ON the train at Finse. However, how do you know that today's crowd on the train was any different than yesterday or the day before? As you said,, today is beautiful. I wouldn't have gotten off yesterday in the rain, so I think most of the crowd stays aboard in bad weather. (A freight just barreled though on it's way to Bergen.)

Second: How can you tell the hotel is closed?

Third: Can you tell me about the structure the tracks go though? At first I thought that was the tunnel portal, but after looking at Google maps, the portal is a bit farther on after the track turn to the left. Is it a snow shed? Or? Also, don't totally understand the flashing signals at the end of the platforms.

Finally, Norway is part of Europe. I would have thought this would have been posted on the "European Railroads" site. Don't always check the "International" site so I cam across your post by accident. (But I admit, "European" versus "International" is kind of like "A square is a rectangle, but not all rectangles are squares.")

(Now someone on a scooter is having fun going though the puddle.)

mp16 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just saw the noon train from Oslo arrive and
> depart at Finse. For the first time in many days a
> good crowd was on the train. I would say the
> webcamera showed at least 100 people getting off
> to
> take pictures. The weather today is wonderful with
> clear skies and sunshine. It was difficult to
> determine if any passengers detrained to actually
> stay at Finse as it appears all who got off jumped
> back on to head to Bergen. It appears the hotel
> is closed. The train had eight cars and one
> engine. I hope this trend continues

Date: 06/27/17 12:00
Author: TAW

Arkeytek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Third: Can you tell me about the structure the
> tracks go though? At first I thought that was the
> tunnel portal, but after looking at Google maps,
> the portal is a bit farther on after the track
> turn to the left. Is it a snow shed?

Yes. In some places, folks build a shed (like the old American Flyer and Lionel "tunnels" http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/5426/8467974_2.jpg?v=8CB5C3407F66650) over the track instead of battling snow in switches.

TAW

Date: 06/27/17 15:09
Author: 1-12016

The building in questioncovers the west switch of the siding from snow. The flashing light probably road crossing

Date: 06/27/17 15:58

That makes sense. But it's interesting that there isn't something similar on the east end of the siding.

As for the flashing lights, because they are flashing all the time they don't seem to be for a crossing (although it appears that a pedestrian walkway is near them). However, when a train is in the station, the typically white-flashing dwarf flashes red while the two overhead typically red-flashing lights seem to flash yellow. The three flashing light also flash at a higher rate when trains are in the station.

But watching today, the lights change color and started to flash faster just before a east-bound freight came into the station. But once the rear was clear of the lights and came to a stop, they went back to their usual slower sequence and color. They again started to flash quickly just before a west-bound fright passed the station. And they went back to their usual configuration as it passed and before the east-bound left.

So it could be a crossing, but always flashing?

Date: 06/27/17 19:46
Author: mp16

If you want to have a quick look at the inside of this wooden structure oogle the following: Train Norway Bergens Banen 2/6 HD

Viewing this excerpt in the cab of a train from Bergen to Oslo lets you see the inside of the snow shed

The is part of several videos showing the ride from Bergen.

At 35 minutes into the video you will enter a long tunnel and leave it and then see the wooden snow tunnel near the hotel at 35 mins. 54 seconds. It's a brief ride through the structure

Seems to protect the track from the snow and some tools or whatever are also stored in the shed. Nice view of the hotel too
There are 6 or 7 separate excerpts and the film quality is very good. Much better than a similar cab ride from Oslo-Bergen produced a few years earlier.

As for posting the info about Finse on the International site that was simply a bit absent mindedness. I had hoped to put it in the European one

Date: 06/28/17 07:52

Been there, done that. I call those "Senior Moments."

Date: 06/28/17 09:07

Watched the video. There is a shed over the east switch and it does appear there is a pedestrian crossing at the flashing lights. Not sure why they flash white when there is no train and still don't understand the flashing lights over each track.

Date: 07/05/17 13:54
Author: jst3751

I have no first hand knowledge but I have found this to be true for all videos I watch containing signals:

The flashing you are seeing may not be real. It is a combination of the electrical frequency of the electricity powering the LED signal combined with the electrical frequency of the digital camera taking the video. In other words, if you were taking a video using film or taking a picture onto film you would not see the flashing or if the signal was an incandescent bulb you would not see the flashing.

Well, technicly yes the LED bulb does flash but it is not detected by the human eye.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/17 13:57 by jst3751.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0666 seconds