Home Open Account Help 350 users online

International Railroad Discussion > "Mixed" Freight and Blue Thunder (Japan)

Date: 06/30/17 09:30
"Mixed" Freight and Blue Thunder (Japan)
Author: cchan006

I was traveling west away from Tokyo on the Chuo Line last year, and stumbled upon a "mixed" freight train, essentially tank cars and container cars coupled together. I was on my way to a non-railfanning activity so I did not document the train then.

True mixed freight era in Japan has been over for decades, and the last boxcar train (unit train of paper products) stopped running about 5 years ago. So this was as close as I could get to a non-unit train in Japan.

During my trip to Japan this March, I researched the JR Freight Timetable for clues, and quickly found out what the train was: Train #83, westbound with loads; and Train #82, eastbound empties. The timetable lists a setout at Kajigaya ("secret" freight terminal on the Musashino Line) for #82. The final destination for #82 (and origin for #83) is Negishi, near Yokohama which is a crude oil terminal. The other terminus, Ryuo is one station west of Kofu in Yamanashi Prefecture.

I had just finished doing some midday non-railfan activities in the Tokyo area, and realized that I might be able to intercept Train #82 if I hopped on a westbound Chuo Line Limited Express Kaiji ASAP. I took an unreserved seat, and got my JR Freight Timetable and JR system timetable out to figure out a chase strategy. I chose Otsuki (near the Maglev test tracks) for the intercept, and while I could have traveled a few more stops further west, I gave myself scouting time to see if I could find a location away from the station platforms to catch the "mixed" freight.

I found an elevated walkway a few city blocks west of Otsuki, and catch an inbout Fuji-Kyuko Type 1000 EMU, first clip. Type 1000 EMU is ex-Keio Line Type 5000 EMU, manufactured in the 1960s. Railfan-friendly Fuji-Kyuko Railway repainted this EMU back to historic Keio Line colors of beige with red stripes. FYI, Keio Line and private (and profitable) Keio Railway serve the western suburbs of Tokyo.

In the second clip, the "mixed" freight Train #82 shows up right on time, pulled by the articulated 8 axle EH200 locomotive, nicknamed "Blue Thunder." It is common to see the Blue Thunder being used on DC catenary territory with steeper grades, like the Chuo Line, and near Railpax71's territory in Gunma Prefecture on the Joetsu Line. It was designed to replace two locomotive consists (older EF64s) on lines with grades, first revenue service back in 2001.

I then hopped on the next eastbound Limited Express Kaiji back to Tokyo. This time, I got a seat reservation because the rest of the trip was planned precisely.

In the third clip, I am onboard Limited Express Kaiji, at Hachioji Station, documenting a passing maneuver I predicted by studying the timetables and using "local" knowledge. I guessed correctly that JR East would let Kaiji pass the "mixed" freight at Hachioji, instead of further east at Tachikawa. If the passing didn't occur here, the freight would have had to cross-over from Chuo Line to Nanbu Line in front of the Limited Express Kaiji, not only disrupting the tight schedule of Kaiji, but also disrupting the opposing Chuo Line trains. I was confident JR wouldn't let double disruptions happen.

Note the westbound tank train waiting to be passed at the end of the third clip.

When I transferred from Kaiji to the Nanbu Line local at Tachikawa, I confirmed my guess by looking at the schedule gaps on the schedule boards of both Chuo and Nanbu Lines. Feels good when a plan comes together. In the fourth and final clip, I catch the "mixed" freight one more time, at Nanbu Line's Nishi-Kunitachi Station.

There was a high school aged railfan documenting trains at Nishi-Kunitachi, and it looked like he was done for the day, ready to head home for more studying/cramming. I stopped him and asked him if he knew there was a freight train coming, and he gave me this puzzled look and said no. Looks like he heeded my advice as he got his camera out again, took a position several yards behind me, and documented the "mixed" freight also.

My foaming day wasn't done. I was thinking of chasing the "mixed" freight further, so I hopped on the next southbound Nanbu Line train. I was going to take advantage of the scheduled setout at Kajigaya, but then realized that the "mixed" freight might turn into a plain unit tank car train south of there. So I changed my mind when I arrived at Fuchu-Honmachi, and decided to stay there to do a little random foaming (next report).

That's it for this quick report.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 07/15/17 07:52
Re: "Mixed" Freight and Blue Thunder (Japan)
Author: inCHI

Interesting footage. I know that sense of accomplishment that comes from parsing a passenger schedule to guess when a freight will slip through! But in Chicago... it is far less precise.

Date: 07/15/17 09:04
Re: "Mixed" Freight and Blue Thunder (Japan)
Author: King_Coal

Very nice video. Enjoy your insight into Japanese RR'ing.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0881 seconds