Home Open Account Help 318 users online

International Railroad Discussion > I had no idea...

Date: 07/12/17 01:01
I had no idea...
Author: wpamtk

... that one could railfan on the Great Wall of China. Made for a good excuse to stop climbing for awhile!

Date: 07/12/17 04:40
China: Great Wall with a Train
Author: Milepost_130

Funny, just yesterday another friend and I discussed this topic. In July, 2017, I, too, visited the Great Wall at Juyongguan. While there, I, too, photographed a train, albeit it in the extreme distance.

Back in the mid-1980s, many friends and I made pilgrimages to China to see and photograph steam in regular service. In those days, some friends (but not me) managed to record Chinese QJ steam locomotives operating through these mountains with the Great Wall in the background. Regarding locations at which the Great wall could be included in an image of a steam-powered train, my friend, "Bob" offered the following insights: "There are a couple of spots. One is at Qinglongqiao new station, a few km downhill from Badaling station. The train stops here to reverse. The other is at Shifozi tunnels - about halfway between Sanbao and Qinglongqiao stations. The train is working hard uphill here, having just emerged from the tunnel. This spot is full of newer road construction, but in the early 1980s was perfect."

Date: 07/12/17 14:23
Re: China: Great Wall with a Train
Author: BobP

That looks like a nasty traffic jam on the left roadway.

Date: 07/12/17 21:22
Re: China: Great Wall with a Train
Author: wpamtk

BobP Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That looks like a nasty traffic jam on the left
> roadway.

Yes, it was horrible and went on for miles. The traffic was headed north, away from Beijing. I was very grateful we were headed the other way.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0418 seconds