Date: 08/20/17 17:59
Akabane Tokyo train watching
Author: bakersfielddave

this is live coverage of a heavily trafficked section in the Tokyo suburbs

freight also will appear occasionally

Date: 08/20/17 19:32
Re: Akabane Tokyo train watching
Author: cchan006

If #3086 is running on time today (Japan time 11:30 am, Monday 8/21), it should show up in several minutes, going south.

There should be other freights going north and south for the quick midday freight traffic.

Looking forward to more posts on this thread!

Date: 08/21/17 03:46
Author: Ray_Murphy

Link is missing in post!

Ray

Date: 08/21/17 04:38
Author: PennPlat

I also tried posting the link from youtube but it won't stay very long on TO, appears manager knocks them down.

Send me a PM and I will reply with link.

Date: 08/21/17 22:13
Author: cchan006

I found a map in Japanese which sort of puts the area in context of the Tokyo Metropolitan area. The railroad lines shown in the map are for longer-distant JR commuter trains, like the Takasaki, Utsunomiya, Joban, Sobu, Yokosuka, and Tokaido Lines. Takasaki Line is the main theme. Many other lines are not shown, but I picked this one because it's not as cluttered. Map is definitely not drawn to scale.

I marked Akabane (this location) and Omiya on the map in red. Tokyo and Shinjuku Stations are in green.

Green arrow points to the darker green circle which represents the Yamanote Line Loop.

Red arrows point to freight-related locations in Tokyo, and they are labeled.

Inside the yellow circle is Chiba and Tsudanuma (top) on the Sobu Line, as discussed in a previous thread. Narita Airport is labeled in blue.

Takasaki Line is the fork going up and left out of Omiya, and Utsunomiya Line (Tohoku Line) is the right fork. Light brown line is the Ueno-Tokyo Line, and darker brown is the Shonan-Shinjuku Line. Going down and eventually left, those thick brown lines eventually end up on the Tokaido Line.

The video camera for the YouTube live coverage is located almost directly north from the Akabane Station, and it is pointing SW. Closest 3 tracks (middle one is a siding) are the Keihin-Tohoku Line. Next two pairs are for Tohoku/Takasaki Lines, the closer pair for Ueno-Tokyo Line routing, and the farther pair for Shonan-Shinjuku Line routing. The farthest unelevated pair is for the Saikyo Line.

Behind that are the Shinkansen tracks, elevated. Most (if not all) freights should travel on the Shonan-Shinjuku Line routing, the farther pair.

Thank you, bakersfielddave for mentioning this. The Saikyo Line briefly joins the triple-double track main to to make this location a quadruple-double, excluding the Shinkansen.

Date: 08/22/17 17:38
Author: CPRR

Got to tell you all from a guy here in the US, just like seeing all the stuff on Japanese rail line. Especially the videos. Keep them coming!

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0814 seconds