Home Open Account Help 374 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Helsinki to Vladivostok-Part 31

Date: 01/29/18 13:01
Helsinki to Vladivostok-Part 31
Author: CNStratford

Picture 1-If you look closely you will see that the watch has a different time than the alarm clock. The alarm clock is set to local time. The watch is showing railway time. By the time the train gets to Vladivostok at midnight(railway time), it will be light and time for breakfast.
Picture 2-Another station. There is no standard design.
Picture - The technical wagon is removed. One of our coaches was filled with what looked like young draftees who were often met by female friends at various station stops.

Date: 01/29/18 14:05
Re: Helsinki to Vladivostok-Part 31
Author: krm152

Definitely interesting photos.
Not many countries where you cannot get a Coca Cola.
ALLKEN

Date: 01/29/18 19:38
Re: Helsinki to Vladivostok-Part 31
Author: JLinDE

Thanks for the help from everyone after now reading all of your posts. I made some comments on past posts starting about #20. 10-15 years ago it was my hope to get a Passport or Visa and travel to Russia and do the same trip. But family issues prevented that. So I got some VHS tapes or DVD on the line some done by Revelation Videos. And I followed some of those lines, especially the Trans-Sib east of Chelyabinsk, on Google Earth. (Yes, near where the meteorite came down a few years ago.) I like railway engineering, train counts, size and what they haul. Much more so freight than passenger. It has been a while, but my Google Earth 'trip' along the Tran-Sib showed 26 almost, full, or very tight horseshoe curves, a few so tight I all them 'eyes'. Most are between Krasnoyarsk and Skovorodino. Two are on the line pictured in the series, and are the more gentle ones. I'd love to know what the grades are on this line; it is very busy. Virtually every major line in Russia is electrified, but as pointed out, by different voltages, etc. Most trains are one Km long, or 3273 ft, altho some years ago I found two doubled together with engines in the middle on the relatively flat part of the Trans-Sib between Omsk and Novosibirsk.

To CNStratford, your series is so interesting to me and looking forward to the rest. The Russians have built a line to Yakutsk in the far north. The station now may be across the river. But from past Weather Underground logs I have kept for temperatures Nov-Mar for a decade or more I know parts of this area and the BAM have reached -60F. But this year WU lost my favorite spots, and would not respond to my emails even tho a member for years and up to 2020. Sad, but the Russians, I do believe, know how to run their railways in -40F and lower better than Canada and USA.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0497 seconds