Home Open Account Help 317 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Helsinki to Vladivostok-Part 43

Date: 02/12/18 05:19
Helsinki to Vladivostok-Part 43
Author: CNStratford

One of the things that my fellow railfan and I like to do is to ride and photograph any tram line we can. Vladivostok has an old tram line. The line has been cut back so that it does not proceed into the Central Business District any more. I suspect that just as in North America, the transportation planners prefer to give autos a chance.
Picture 1 - We may all know about the Golden Gate Bridge but few of us will ever know that there is an equally stunning bridge over the Vladivostok harbour.
Picture 2 - The line has been cut back (the right of way is now used for parking) but someone cared enough to do this mural of the trams that used to pass.
Picture 3 - The trams are old but well used. This station at the end of the line closest to the central business district is beside quite a nice mall - a mall a far cry from what passed as shopping in the GUM of 1968.

Date: 02/12/18 09:39
Re: Helsinki to Vladivostok-Part 43
Author: BobB

And there's a Burger King in the first picture, all properly transliterated into the Cyrillic alphabet. American culture at its best goes everywhere, even if the words mean nothing in the local language. I've greatly enjoyed this series.

Date: 02/12/18 19:30
Author: ironmtn

This has been an absolutely wonderful series. Thanks so much for taking the time and effort to share your images and commentary. It has been an enjoyable and educational journey!

MC
Muskegon, Michigan

Date: 02/12/18 20:11
Author: krm152

Thanks for posting more travel photos.
Good to see a recognizable icon in Photo 1.
The trolley in Photo 3 doesn't look that great.
Look forward to #44.
ALLEN

Date: 09/21/18 21:11
Author: Duna

BobB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And there's a Burger King in the first picture,
> all properly transliterated into the Cyrillic
> alphabet. American culture at its best goes
> everywhere, even if the words mean nothing in the
> local language. I've greatly enjoyed this series.

Burger King, McDonalds, and KFC are very common in Russia.  Also lots of hipster-equipped Starbucks, with about half of them some having the primary sign in Latin, half in Cyrillic. Many coffee places (mom & pop and chain restaurants) in Russia, often several per block in cities.

Quite a few Carls's Jr. (Hardees) in Saint Petersburg, but didn't see any in Moscow.  All of the Carls Jr. & most Burger Kings serve beer. Some Subway sandwich shops. Saw a few Papa John's pizza, TGI Fridays, and a couple other US chains.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/18 21:32 by Duna.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.3746 seconds