Home Open Account Help 249 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Ukraine: Diesel Freight in Southwest Ukraine

Date: 02/23/18 00:58
Ukraine: Diesel Freight in Southwest Ukraine
Author: Milepost_130

On Saturday, February 17, 2017, a friend of mine and I drove from eastern Hungary to Vișeu de Sus, Romania, there to join a FarRail steam charter later that day.

Instead of selecting a route directly from eastern Hungary to northern Romania, our GPS guided us on a route with required travel through Ukraine! We didn't realize this until after we'd departed Hungary and had already encountered Ukrainian immigration and Customs!

Once we'd entered Ukraine, we elected to press on, and follow the GPS-recommended route.

At Xyct / Khust, Ukraine, we encountered a Ukrainian freight train powered by ЧM33-3480. Image attached.

Date: 02/23/18 08:45
Re: Ukraine: Diesel Freight in Southwest Ukraine
Author: krm152

Interesting photo. That diesel looks like it has been rode rough and put up wet.
ALLEN

Date: 02/23/18 15:16
Author: pedrop

Any idea of the cargo in that train?

Posted from Android

Pedro Rezende
Vespasiano MG,
https://youtube.com/c/minasgeraisrailways1

Date: 02/23/18 17:46
Author: jmt

Date: 02/24/18 00:13
Author: 86235

Milepost_130 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> At Xyct / Khust, Ukraine, we encountered a
> Ukrainian freight train powered by ЧM33-3480.
> Image attached.

That's a CKD (Czechoslovakia) built T669 which the SZD classified as ChME3 - Chekhoslovatskii manevroyvi s elektricheskoi peredechei 3-oi tip or Czech built diesel electric shunter (switcher), 3rd type, the universal switcher of the USSR. CKD built both broad and standard gauge versions. They make a very satisfactory noise when working.

Date: 02/24/18 06:02
Author: Milepost_130

Thanks for the excellent insights. Before posting that image, I had no time to research the locomotive type.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0392 seconds