Home Open Account Help 309 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Japanese live camera with freight traffic

Date: 06/03/18 14:25
Japanese live camera with freight traffic
Author: inCHI

Today I stumbled across a Japanese live camera titled "静岡市さった峠 交通の要衝" that shows a railroad and highways hugging a bank of water. Auto translate of the title to english comes out as this: "Shizuoka-shi Sado Pass Passage Hub." Another livecam on the account seems to show Mt. Fuji. These have been running since 2016, so they are nothing new, but I search and didn't find mention of them here. What made it notable to me is that I've seen freight trains passing on it, for example, a container train at 05:55 and 06:22 on 6/4 (weird typing that at 16:30pm on 6/3.)International cameras that are high quality and show freight are something I've looked for but haven't found many of, so noting this one in case others haven't seen it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/18 14:27 by inCHI.

Date: 06/03/18 23:09
Re: Japanese live camera with freight traffic
Author: cchan006

inCHI Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What made it notable to me
> is that I've seen freight trains passing on it,
> for example, a container train at 05:55 and 06:22
> on 6/4 (weird typing that at 16:30pm on
> 6/3.)International cameras that are high quality
> and show freight are something I've looked for but
> haven't found many of, so noting this one in case
> others haven't seen it.

Thanks for mentioning the web cam. It's the first time I've heard about it, and you seem to be the first to mention it here on TO. Other web cams mentioned were at Aizu-Wakamatsu (Tohoku Region) and Akabane in Tokyo.

The location is very close to where a mudslide occurred in October of 2014 due to Typhoon #18. The mudslide disrupted train traffic and detoured and cancelled numerous freight trains until it was cleared up. I was in Japan at the time and it ruined my plans to catch some unique freight trains.

Date: 06/04/18 06:13
Author: Hiroshi

This cam is operated by the city of Shizuoka. What you are seeing are National Route number one, Tomei Expressway and Tokaido main line (JR Tokai) connecting Tokyo and Nagoya and to the West.

Hope this helps.

Hiroshi

Date: 06/04/18 06:41

Thanks for the info! Casually looking at it there seems to be over a dozen container trains a day. That is the only type a freight train I've seen so far.

Date: 06/04/18 19:45

inCHI Wrote:
> Thanks for the info! Casually looking at it there
> seems to be over a dozen container trains a day.
> That is the only type a freight train I've seen so
> far.

Toyota Long Pass Express (westbound, coming toward the camera) might show up in the morning, Japan time. The train should consist of almost all blue 31' "Toyota" containers. The eastbound counterpart might show up in the afternoon. The more unique Super Rail Cargo passes through here in the dark, either direction.

According to the freight timetable, only non-container trains scheduled to go through the area are rail trains (empty or loaded), and they run as Extras. Tank trains and fly ash trains (covered hoppers) don't run in this area. JR Freight stopped using boxcars in 2012, so you won't see "manifest trains" anymore.

Date: 06/04/18 20:44

Thanks for the additional info!

Date: 06/04/18 22:52
Author: CPRR

Any way of giving us here stateside the web link?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/05/18 00:01
Author: ActionMike

It appears to be a YouTube feed.

Put the Japanese text in Google and it should be the first link.

静岡市さった峠 交通の要衝

It at least it was for me.

Date: 06/11/18 10:41
Author: Railpax71

Is this one of the container trains mentioned?

Date: 06/11/18 18:43

Railpax71 Wrote:
> Is this one of the container trains mentioned?

If it's all green, then it might be the Fukuyama Rail Express, but that one runs right behind Super Rail Cargo at night. Could be a long string of Yamato Transport boxes, which usually means it's one of the longer (length-wise and distance-wise) trains on the Tokaido Corridor.

The color looks washed out, so hard to say it's green or blue.

Date: 07/10/18 00:31
Author: 2472Don

Here is the link to the zoom cam - one of the cameras on the "Mt. Fuji Live Cam" website. I noticed a speed enforcement camera on the northbound elevated expressway portion. If you rent a car there, and go "overspeed" through that trap, or one of the almost 800 throughout Japan... remember when the car rental place took an imprint of your credit card, Driver License and International Driving Permit, when you rented that car?!? Don't be surprised when; a couple of days after you return home, you suddenly see a debit from the Japan Highway Safety Control division of the Japan National Police on that card  But I digress... here is the link: http://MtFuji-live.jp/angle/index.php

Don
Manoa Valley, O'ahu

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/18 00:35 by 2472Don.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0653 seconds