Home Open Account Help 375 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Korean rail link: a station without trains (Washington Post)

Date: 08/04/18 22:34
Korean rail link: a station without trains (Washington Post)
Author: clem

This Washington Post article describes a station in the running for least frequent service: the Goseong, South Korea station on the eastern rail link between South and North. Planned in 2000, opened to one ceremonial train in 2007, and none since.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/18 09:27 by clem.

Date: 08/05/18 08:16
Re: Korean rail link: a station without trains (Washington Post)
Author: prrmpup

I have been there. Beautiful station, well maintained.
There is a large map on the wall depicting a through rail service from Seoul to Europe.
Still a dream.

Link

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/south-korea-longs-for-a-train-to-europe--but-us-sanctions-on-north-korea-block-the-way/2018/08/03/1760ef76-9007-11e8-9b0d-749fb254bc3d_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.996f4e2a745c

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/18 08:20 by prrmpup.

Date: 08/05/18 08:59
Author: andersonb109

Leave it to the Washington Post to blame it on Trump. What would you rather have? A train from South Korea to Europe. Or a nuke free North Korea. Once the latter occures, I'm sure the U.S. would be the first to allow opening of the rail line. 

Date: 08/05/18 09:20
Author: cchan006

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Leave it to the Washington Post to blame it on
> Trump. What would you rather have? A train from
> South Korea to Europe. Or a nuke free North Korea.
> Once the latter occures, I'm sure the U.S. would
> be the first to allow opening of the rail line.

I think you got suckered by the article's very subtle insinuation (and bait), and I hope other TO members READ the article (not SPEED read) first before responding only to your comments.

The blame is squarely at our (United States') tough sanctions on North Korea. Trump happened to be the President now, so if you were smarter, you would have placed blame on the past administrations. (You missed an opportunity to troll smartly)

If you read between the lines (and look at the map), there's one country that's not mentioned in the article that is truly responsible for the current diplomatic standstill, and it's not Russia. :-)

The talk about real estate value and Europe are just window dressings to make the issue relevant to the readers - I find them irrelevant. The real issue is connecting North and South Koreas economically, and having trains come to this station will be the first step in that direction.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0492 seconds