Date: 09/21/18 04:20
More streetcars of Tennoji, Osaka, in 1997
Author: Korigaoka1811

But I never actually rode one!

John

Date: 09/21/18 16:24
Re: More streetcars of Tennoji, Osaka, in 1997
Author: 251F

Wow, the Hankai Streetcars!  Thanks for posting.  A little jem buried on the south side of Osaka.   The locals know about it, but the tourist bureaus tend not to mention the line.  Their collection of streetcars makes it worth a visit.

I lived in Tennoji-ku, Osaka several times while working in Japan.  One of my favorite things to do on a Sunday afternoon was to hop the Hankai at Tennoji-eki and ride to the end at Hamadera-eki.  It wasn't particularly fast, but you passed through many neighborhoods off the beaten path.  Not many tourists around, but lots of good eats (お好み焼き okonomiyaki-yummy!) and local shopping.

Note on the side of car 305 the images of fugu フグ or puffer fish.  A local delicacy in sashimi but very poisonous.  I've had it twice and am still here to write about it.  It is quite delicious.

Only drawback is the map at the ticket office is all in japanese and I don't believe any of the agents or car operators are conversant in english.

http://www.hankai.co.jp/english/route/

daniel

edited to add puffer fish comment

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/18 16:29 by 251F.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0406 seconds