Home Open Account Help 282 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Visiting the Kyoto Railway Museum, Part 4

Date: 09/27/18 04:25
Visiting the Kyoto Railway Museum, Part 4
Author: Korigaoka1811

The stuff of freight trains today, a DD51-class diesel locomotive, steel-frame wood boxcar and a caboose, all post war.

John

Date: 09/27/18 04:50
Re: Visiting the Kyoto Railway Museum, Part 4
Author: boejoe

Just noticed knuckle couplers.  Will have to go back and review earlier museum photos.  Quite a collection of equipment there.

Date: 09/27/18 20:17
Author: airbrakegeezer

JNR has used knuckle couplers and American-style air brakes since the early 1920s at least. I believe that the decision to adopt these systems was made when JNR was formed, around 1920, to consolidate the several railroad companies in Japan. I do know that WABCO was asked to license two Japanese companies (to preserve competition) to produce air brake equipment locally, and they responded by licensing the Mitsubishi Electric Corp. and by forming the Nippon Air Brake Co. (NABCO) as a separate company owned jointly by Kobe Steel and WABCO. There has been a long history of excellent cooperation between the 3 companies, interrupted only by the WWII years.

Roger Lewis (airbrakegeezer)

Date: 09/28/18 13:47
Author: 251F

airbrakegeezer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>  and by forming the Nippon Air Brake Co.
> (NABCO) as a separate company owned jointly by
> Kobe Steel and WABCO.
> Roger Lewis (airbrakegeezer)

NABCO merged with Teijin Seiki in 2003 to become "Nabtesco".   Nabtesco continues to be the licensee for WABCO/Wabtec products in Japan.

Attached is a Nabtesco made AW-2 whistle based on the WABCO "Clarion" whistle.

daniel

Date: 09/28/18 20:22
Author: airbrakegeezer

Many thanks, Daniel. I retired from WABCO in mid-1998, just before its merger with MPI and susequent name change to WABTEC (changed to avoid paying royalties to American Standard for continued use of the WABCO trademark), so I somehow missed the reason for NABCO's name change to NABTESCO. By now, of course all my former colleagues and friends at NABCO have retired or passed on, since they are well into their 70s at least, but I fondly remember many interesting, happy days spent with them in Kobe and other locations.

Roger Lewis (airbrakegeezer) 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0571 seconds