Home Open Account Help 336 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Bridge ID question

Date: 05/10/19 05:35
Bridge ID question
Author: mile250

Can anyone tell me where this bridge is? I have no information on place, date, or photographer.
Guesses include New Zealand, South Africa, and Turkey.
Glen
San Luis Obispo, California, USA

Date: 05/10/19 07:23
Re: Bridge ID question
Author: Hartington

My vote would be New Zealand. As for where; somewhere on the North Island Main Trunk between Palmerston North and Hamilton. Specifically I'll suggest where it crosses the Rangiteki River? Picture

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/19 15:28 by Hartington.

Date: 05/10/19 07:25
Author: andersonb109

Pretty sure it's New Zealand. The train looks like that used by a company called Steam Inc. Probably on the costal line between Picton and Dunedin.

Date: 05/10/19 08:32
Author: tomstp

The engine is definately New Zealand.

Date: 05/10/19 13:55
Author: RogersPass

Hi All, Yes it is New Zealand on the North Island main Trunk, just North of Mangoweka.
Cheers Brian..

Date: 05/11/19 05:44

Thank you all. Now I'll go to google satellite for some context. It would be interesting to have seen that bridge built, challenging formwork and concrete delivery.

Date: 05/11/19 05:59

Well this is weird. Why does the google image look like the tracks are now suspended by themselves to the side of the bridge?

Date: 05/11/19 07:47
Author: Ray_Murphy

mile250 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well this is weird. Why does the google image look
> like the tracks are now suspended by themselves to
> the side of the bridge?

The software is always merging sequential images made during a satellite pass, and the more vertical variation there is in the images, the more screwed up things like railway and highway bridges can look.

Ray 

Date: 05/11/19 08:19
Author: tq-07fan

Here is what it looks like from on the Kiwi Rail passenger train. October 17 2016

Jim

Date: 05/11/19 09:01
Author: CM80-46

One more place on the bucket list when I retire!
CM80.46

Date: 05/11/19 12:35

Thanks, Ray. Good to know. I'll remind my students not to believe everything they see on the interwebs. I was aware of distortion as the area photographed gets farther from directly below the aircraft (or satellite), but I had never seen displacement this extreme before. It looks like the software peeled the superstructure off the supporting columns and draped it in midair, almost like the road label strips that appear on some roads in Google's sat images.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/19 12:37 by mile250.

Date: 05/11/19 21:46
Author: Utahfannz

That is the South Rangitikei Viaduct, between Utiku and Mangaweka replacing an old section of track which included 6 tunnels closed with the opening of the new deviation on 18Nov 1981

Date: 05/12/19 17:12
Author: PHall

Wonder how well it handles earthquakes?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0334 seconds