Home Open Account Help 260 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Tren de Basura in and around Tiltil Chile


Date: 06/01/19 19:42
Tren de Basura in and around Tiltil Chile
Author: erielackawanna

Yeah, I know, it's the garbage train, but that sounds gross, so I'll go with the Spanish, tren de basura! On our last night in the Santiago area, we went searching for the FEPASA train that run up to a landfill northeast of Montenegro Chile. Starting on the southern end of Tiltil, we spotted a train north of us and were off. Damn thing was moving pretty fast so chasing (on streets I'd never been on before) was a bit complicated, but still a blast. Here are some highlights.

Power is an American GP35 converted by NRE into an SD39M-2.

First three images are either in Titltil or just north of it (the canyon runs along the Titlil Estuary).



 



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/19 19:42 by erielackawanna.








Date: 06/01/19 19:43
Re: Tren de Basura in and around Tiltil Chile
Author: erielackawanna

Shots four and five are in the canyon between Titltil and Rungue. 

Image six is taken as the train comes into Rungue.

 








Date: 06/01/19 19:47
Re: Tren de Basura in and around Tiltil Chile
Author: erielackawanna

Image seven is another shot at Rungue.

Image eight is at Montenegro near where the train will head off on a spur to the landfill.

Image nine is at Lomas Los Colarados at the landfill. A rail tractor is pulling a string of cars out of the way as the trash train waits to pull forward.
 








Date: 06/02/19 00:08
Re: Tren de Basura in and around Tiltil Chile
Author: 86235

Nice set, I see there's still plenty of evidence of the 3kV catenary, 20+ years since it was deactivated.



Date: 06/02/19 00:56
Re: Tren de Basura in and around Tiltil Chile
Author: coach

Interesting horn placement in the 2nd photo--never seen them there before.



Date: 06/02/19 04:45
Re: Tren de Basura in and around Tiltil Chile
Author: 2472Don

erielackawanna Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah, I know, it's the garbage train, but that
> sounds gross, so I'll go with the Spanish, tren de
> basura! On our last night in the Santiago area, we
> went searching for the FEPASA train that run up to
> a landfill northeast of Montenegro Chile. Starting
> on the southern end of Tiltil, we spotted a train
> north of us and were off. Damn thing was moving
> pretty fast so chasing (on streets I'd never been
> on before) was a bit complicated, but still a
> blast. Here are some highlights.
>
> Power is an American GP35 converted by NRE into an
> SD39M-2.
>
> First three images are either in Titltil or just
> north of it (the canyon runs along the Titlil
> Estuary).

Charles -

Why the heavy wire screens around the 2 front windshields? 

Don
Manoa Valley, O'ahu



Date: 06/02/19 07:30
Re: Tren de Basura in and around Tiltil Chile
Author: ck3573

Possibly clearance issues? The long hood appears lower than normal.

Chris

coach Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Interesting horn placement in the 2nd photo--never
> seen them there before.



Date: 06/02/19 07:33
Re: Tren de Basura in and around Tiltil Chile
Author: CPR_4000

Garbage in cylindrical tanks? How are they loaded? No evidence of hatches on top.



Date: 06/02/19 07:45
Re: Tren de Basura in and around Tiltil Chile
Author: CPRR

CPR_4000 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Garbage in cylindrical tanks? How are they loaded?
> No evidence of hatches on top.

I was wondering that myself 



Date: 06/02/19 08:15
Re: Tren de Basura in and around Tiltil Chile
Author: retcsxcfm

Photo number two.
A PERFECT roster shot.

Uncle Joe,Seffner,Fl.



Date: 06/02/19 10:37
Re: Tren de Basura in and around Tiltil Chile
Author: atsf121

Nice series, that would have been a fun chase. Curious what modifications were needed to make it a six axle vs four axle unit.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone



Date: 06/02/19 11:31
Re: Tren de Basura in and around Tiltil Chile
Author: SD45X

Just a swag, the frame was lengthened to fit the six axle truck upgrade and keeping the 2500 gallon tank. Hoods moved apart and a longer section with the dual fan dynamic brake blister added.

Posted from iPhone



Date: 06/02/19 14:09
Re: Tren de Basura in and around Tiltil Chile
Author: jmt

Cylinders tipped on one end and loaded vertically



Date: 06/02/19 20:46
Re: Tren de Basura in and around Tiltil Chile
Author: WM303

Isn't Fepasa the company that bought the 10 ex-MILW/SOO/WC SDL39s?
 



Date: 06/03/19 08:30
Re: Tren de Basura in and around Tiltil Chile
Author: utwazoo

FCP 2359 built from the hulk of UP GP38  2026



Date: 06/03/19 09:35
Re: Tren de Basura in and around Tiltil Chile
Author: Lurch_in_ABQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8udScfqpHA



Date: 06/04/19 13:08
Re: Tren de Basura in and around Tiltil Chile
Author: loopy7764

Most of what's seen with that engine is self-explanatory (excepting for horn placement), why was the long hood lowered? It remains at regular height on the SDL39 in the other thread.



Date: 06/04/19 15:08
Re: Tren de Basura in and around Tiltil Chile
Author: utwazoo

loopy7764 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Most of what's seen with that engine is
> self-explanatory (excepting for horn placement),
> why was the long hood lowered? It remains at
> regular height on the SDL39 in the other thread.


Height of both models the same for clearance, mostly ancient truss bridges.   Note the SD39M still has fan rings, etc. while the SDL39 has nothing on the top of the long hood.



Date: 06/05/19 12:51
Re: Tren de Basura in and around Tiltil Chile
Author: Waybiller

The Tren de Basura was very high revenue and priority traffic.



[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0588 seconds