Home Open Account Help 311 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Hawkesbury River

Date: 12/16/19 15:43
Hawkesbury River
Author: aussiehinz

In September, 2002, a southbound ("Up") National Rail container train rumbles across the big Hawkesbury River Bridge on the "Main North" between Newcastle and Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. Three "NR" Class locomotives are in charge of today's Brisbane QLD to Sydney train.

Cheers,
aussiehinz

Date: 12/16/19 16:40
Re: Hawkesbury River
Author: boejoe

Unusual and scenic.  I don't see pantographs so I assume the units are diesel.  Great photo.

Date: 12/16/19 17:30
Author: 251F

boejoe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
  I don't see pantographs so I
> assume the units are diesel. 

Originally built for the now defunct National Rail between 1996-1998, GE powered, Goninan built (GE licensee in Australia) Cv40-9i.  FDL-16 engine, Dash 9 electronics, GMG-196 alternator, GE793 traction motors, lighter weigh than 752 motors to meet lighter weight axle loading on certain lines.

Here, Pacific Rail NR60 is on the rear as a "wired" DPU of a yo-yo limestone train at Moss Vale, NSW, 5 October 2016.

daniel

edited to add "Dash 9"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/19 17:31 by 251F.

Date: 12/17/19 06:21
Author: retcsxcfm

Nice shot,Mark.

Uncle Joe
Seffner,Fl.

Date: 12/17/19 11:45
Author: PHall

So when you say "wired DPU" does this mean that there is a 27 pin MU cable running through the entire train and that the unit is MU'd to the unit(s) on the other end?

Date: 12/17/19 15:50
Author: 251F

PHall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So when you say "wired DPU" does this mean that
> there is a 27 pin MU cable running through the
> entire train and that the unit is MU'd to the
> unit(s) on the other end?

No, signal level from the MU receptacle would not travel the length of the train. 

They use something called "top and tail" which utilizes a function of the ECP braking system to accomplish locomotive control.  The hoppers (wagons) are equipped with ECP braking and connected via a serial data line between the cars.

Wabtec calls their system of integrated electronic braking and locomotive control PowerLink.  This is what's in use on coal trains in Queenland.  I'm not sure that's what PacNat is using. 

Here is a link to Wabtec's website with the keyword search "ECP".  There are many entries explaining how the system integrates.  In case you wonder, there is a 230V DC power line that runs through the trainline serial link cable that powers the ECP electronics on the cars.
https://www.wabtec.com/search/node/ecp

d.

edited to add Wabtec link

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/19 16:01 by 251F.

Date: 12/17/19 17:41
Author: tomstp

Wow, surprised at 230 volts.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0336 seconds