Home Open Account Help 314 users online

International Railroad Discussion > NEX routes thru Tokyo?

Date: 02/25/20 09:23
NEX routes thru Tokyo?
Author: symph1

I’m confused about some routings in Tokyo. Any help is appreciated.
When Narita Express (pic 1) leaves Tokyo station for Shinjuku, does it follow the tracks of the Yamanote Line (pic 2)? But it must have its own tracks, no? The Yamanote Line is way too busy.
But after NEX splits at the Tokyo station, those cars that go to Ofuna must follow the tracks of the Yokosuka-Sobu Line (pic 3), is that right? Same tracks or special express tracks?
I’ve ridden from Tokyo station to Narita airport both on NEX and on the Yokosuka-Sobu Line (through from Kamakura, pic. 4-6). Those are exactly the same tracks, right?
Thanks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/20 10:37 by symph1.

Date: 02/25/20 09:24
Re: NEX routes thru Tokyo?

Thanks for looking.

Date: 02/26/20 00:00
Author: cchan006

symph1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When Narita Express (pic 1) leaves Tokyo station
> for Shinjuku, does it follow the tracks of the
> Yamanote Line (pic 2)?

NEX is still underground between Tokyo and Shinagawa, following the Sobu-Yokosuka Line tracks. Past Tokyo, it's technically just Yokosuka Line. It's still on the Yokosuka Line until Osaki (Yamanote Line stop, but the Yokosuka Line trains and NEX don't stop there) where there's a junction.

At the junction, NEX switches from the Yokosuka Line to the Yamanote Freight Line, which parallels the Yamanote Line. NEX makes a stop at Shibuya then Shinjuku while on this line.

Yamanote Freight Line also hosts the Shonan-Shinjuku Line and the Saikyo Line.

> But it must have its own
> tracks, no? The Yamanote Line is way too busy.

NEX basically runs on tracks that existed before the service started in 1991. That should explain its somewhat convoluted routing, once you find out more about the history of numerous JR (and JNR) lines in and around Tokyo.

> But after NEX splits at the Tokyo station, those
> cars that go to Ofuna must follow the tracks of
> the Yokosuka-Sobu Line (pic 3), is that right?
> Same tracks or special express tracks?

NEX that goes to Ofuna (via Yokohama) follows the Yokosuka Line, some segments paralleling the Tokaido Line as well as the Keihin Tohoku Line.

> I’ve ridden from Tokyo station to Narita airport
> both on NEX and on the Yokosuka-Sobu Line (through
> from Kamakura, pic. 4-6). Those are exactly the
> same tracks, right?
> Thanks.

From Tokyo to Narita Airport, NEX mostly follows the Sobu Line to and past Chiba. Technically, it's the Sobu Rapid Line, the "express" tracks that parallel the Sobu Line local trains. At Sakura (no stop), it switches to Narita Line, and just past Narita, it switches to the airport line (huge concrete viaduct, the remnants of the Narita Shinkansen project) where it parallels its competition, the Keisei Line.

As a side note, Sobu and Yokosuka Lines were connected by a huge underground project in the 1970s. Revenue through service to connect those lines via Tokyo started in 1980.

FYI, while some NEX train that goes to Shinjuku stays on the Yamanote Freight Line to Ikebukuro, a handful of them switches over to the Chuo Line and heads to the western Tokyo suburb, to Takao.

Date: 02/26/20 08:53

Thank you. I didn't think about freight tracks. This all makes sense.

>...huge concrete viaduct, the remnants of the Narita Shinkansen project...

There was a Narita Shinkansen project?

Date: 02/28/20 14:20
Author: cchan006

symph1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There was a Narita Shinkansen project?

The English wikipedia article explains the project very well - I was surprised to find it. I've collected information on the Narita Shinkansen project through Japan's railfan magazines, online articles in Japanese, and other places throughout the years. I've made references to the project on TO here and there, and even made mockery of CA HSR by comparing it to the Narita Shinkansen project which was abandoned. :-)

Besides the concrete viaduct near Narita (photo posted in the wikipedia article), there is another evidence of the project, the Keiyo Line's underground Tokyo station. It is physically located south of the Tokyo Station, about halfway between Tokyo and Urakucho on the Yamanote Line. This is mentioned in the wikipedia article.

The underground passageway to connect to the Keiyo Line is CLOSEST to the Shinkansen entrances, which is NOT mentioned in the wikipedia article, but those who have been there will notice right away as a hint to its original purpose.

Date: 02/28/20 18:00

Yes, after I wrote that little comment, I let Google guide me. The Wikipedia article was most interesting. Since it's a wiki, why don't you add the missing info re the entrances?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0855 seconds