Home Open Account Help 340 users online

International Railroad Discussion > International Railway Stations Part 6

Date: 07/12/20 05:20
International Railway Stations Part 6
Author: andersonb109

This is Tbilisi Central Station, Georgia. Whenver I visit a new city, I look up the railway station to see if it's worth a photgraph. In this case I decided it wasn't unless it was near where we would be. So the second day of our brief time there, we hired a guide to take us around the various tourist sites. A very intersting city with a cable car and funicular on the mountain.  About half way through the tour Yana asks our guide "where is railway station...we want go see railway station."  I asked her why.  "Because every city we go, all time, you always want go see railway statiion."  The guide explained it was on the  other side of the river and about a 15 minute drive. And we would miss something else on the tour.  "Don't care, we want go see."  So we did. Turns out that much of the station was converted into a shopping mall. Maybe Yana knew that in advance?  We went down to the platform to see some trains. A security guard said NO PHOTOS.  So we walked to the end of the platform where we photographed anyway including some with Yana next to the trains.  After I bought her a new watch. So a productive trip afterall.  On the way back we drove on "George W. Bush Street."  I asked the guide why the name?  Turns out that after Putin invaded Georgia and took two provinces for himself, Mr. Bush said anything further and there would be consequences. Putin stopped. The Georgan people are forever gratefull. Too bad the same wasn't done when Putin invaded Ukraine. 

Date: 07/12/20 09:19
Re: International Railway Stations Part 6
Author: GettingShort

I remember the whole scene around the Tbilisi station being fairly chaotic.  

Minor point but in the Case of the war with South Ossetia Medvedev was running the show in Russia at the time not Putin. And that was set in motion when the Georgian military fired a few dozen Grad rockets a Tskhinvali the capital of South Ossetia. 

Date: 07/12/20 11:25
Author: andersonb109

Wasn't he the President of Russia when Putin was term limited so he became Prime Minister? Regardless, it was sort  of cool to see an American President's name on a street so far away.  And yes, it was very chaotic around the station. Very cool city though but a bit on the run down side. We had a great hotel with an outdoor art gallary just across the street (Yana is an amature artist).  I wonder what the previous station looked like? Obviously this one  is 1960's or 70's structure. 

Date: 07/14/20 11:24
Author: GettingShort

I think the station has bee reconstructed severa times, it was partially under construction when I passed through a couple years ago. Tbilisi is a very likable city. Like you said a bit rundown but maybe in better condition than Yerevan it's a tough call. 
Really been enjoying the series hope you have more to show us. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1041 seconds