Home Open Account Help 254 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Australian freight train questions

Date: 08/27/20 12:52
Australian freight train questions
Author: yooperfan

Recently I came across some videos on YouTube showing Australian general merchandise freight trains. Very interesting; lots of containers and double stacks like in the US, but not as long. However I have two questions. 

A number of the trains had a single passenger car immediately following the locos. Since I doubt these trains carried passengers, I wonder does the passenger car carry a relief train crew, providing a place to sleep and eat. This would make sense on rail lines crossing vast, mostly uninhabited regions. 

Also, some of the non-intermodal cars looked like big and very high box cars (kind of like autoracks in the US). What would they be carrying? 

Thanks for your input. 

Date: 08/27/20 14:40
Re: Australian freight train questions
Author: tomstp

Item one, you are correct.

Don't know about # 2

Date: 08/27/20 15:07
Author: DKay

Think they are just a HiCube boxcar of sorts.Could be hauling anything.AutoRacks down here are open style ,not a lot of them used anymore.New vehicles tend to go by road transport.
Regards,DK (not my pics)

Date: 08/31/20 17:28
Author: Memma

They're pretty amazing to see coming across the Nullarbor - there's one point with 478km of dead straight track - you can see the headlights come over the horizon at night about 10 minutes before the train approaches!

Date: 09/22/20 01:20
Author: Bandito

yooperfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> A number of the trains had a single passenger car
> immediately following the locos. Since I doubt
> these trains carried passengers, I wonder does the
> passenger car carry a relief train crew, providing
> a place to sleep and eat. This would make sense on
> rail lines crossing vast, mostly uninhabited
> regions. 

Here's a video that includes a bit on the passenger car for the crews. Also, at some point SCT Logistics was also hauling cars carrying fuel for the locomotives (on the long E/W routes), because they would otherwise have to pay too much to whoever was controlling the line and the fueling facilities. Maybe that's changed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgC15dAzOnc

>
> Also, some of the non-intermodal cars looked like
> big and very high box cars (kind of like autoracks
> in the US). What would they be carrying? 

They call it the "Greater Freighter." And it's not just basically a HQ, which in the US is 17ft high at center, but is definitely similar in height and length to autoracks. I believe it has one deck--thus two interior levels--and is intended to carry lighter cargo, especially on the upper deck due to center of gravity issues. I'm a big fan of SCT and have been following them since I first came across their Greater Freighter, perhaps 10 years ago.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0374 seconds