Home Open Account Help 207 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Chile: Loco-hauled passenger trains

Date: 11/25/20 11:11
Chile: Loco-hauled passenger trains
Author: masterphots

When I first started coming to Chile,  the wide-gauge electric network was fully intact and most long distance passenger trains were hauled by two classes of Italian-built (Breda-GAI)  electrics.  Over the years,  high-speed motorways were developed,  low cost air travel became a reality and Fepasa took over freight operations from the government.  As a result,  the amount of track under wire was reduced and auto and bus travel on the new motorways as well as air travel caused a steep decline of LDTs.  Today,  metro train patronage around Santiago, Valparaiso and Concepcion is growing rapidly as suburbs grow around the railway lines.  The only remaining long distance train is Santiago to Chillan, about 240 miles.  All trains are now EMUs.   Here are a few images of the 'good stuff' back in the day.

1.  E30 3018 at Santiago Alameda station with the early morning service to points south.  2/14/93.  Great start to Valentine Day for we newlyweds.  (but typical railfan).  This and the following two shots show EMUs being used as passenger cars.  Nearing the end of their service life, rather than maintain the electrical systems,  they were used as simple passenger cars.

2.  E30 3020 at Santiago with a southbound summer-only train.  1/9/98

3.  E30 3005 arriving Santiago on 1/15/98. 

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/20 11:10 by masterphots.

Date: 11/25/20 11:19
Re: Chile: Loco-hauled passenger trains

4.   E30 3020 leaving Santiago with a Chillan train.  12/20/01

5.  E32 3202 arriving Santiago with the all-night train from Temuco.  3/12/03.  This train had 1930s German-built section sleepers,  a couple of cars of compartments,  full dining car and at times they even showed movies.  In December 2003 the night train replaced by former Spanish 269 class locomotive hauled trains operating on a daytime schedule.  After a few years that service was cancelled due to low patronage.  It was a really nice train but locals complained about the first class fare being too expensive,  at less than US$100 round trip.  This for a 12-hour trip each way with all the bells and whistles.

6.  EFE, the government operator of passenger trains maintains one E32 for special trains.  Here 3209 leaves Miraflores heading for Santiago,  on a religious holiday special.  9-1-2019,  The auto haulers have electric generators in them to provide power to the cars.  EFE also has a pair of E30s they use in work train service as well as for special trains.  Freight operator Fepasa has two operable E32s which are in regular service.  They probably won't last long enough to get the new blue/red colors.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/20 05:44 by masterphots.

Date: 11/25/20 17:55
Author: Ritzville

Very NICE and interesting series!

Larry

Date: 11/26/20 10:35
Author: 86235

Ahhh, wonderful.

Date: 11/26/20 13:18
Author: NMlurker

Otherworldly. Those are some handsome electric locomotives. Thank you for posting.

Date: 11/27/20 10:51
Author: Hartington

I've seen some recent pictures of what I believe is a recently imported 2nd hand Spanish locomotive hauling passenger stock.

Date: 11/27/20 14:01

Those were the locomotive hauled ex-RENFE 269 class trainsets described in my original post.  The Santiago to Temuco service began in December 2003 and lasted less than ten years.  If you've seen photos taken in recent years,  it was a vintage train experience over a weekend which EFE has operated a couple of times each summer.  These are usually pulled by an EFE E30 to Chillan and then GE shovel nose diesel from there to Temuco (no longer catenary south of Chillan).  The Spanish electric locomotives have been stored for years and seldom get out,  although I did see one on a work train a few years ago.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/20 03:48 by masterphots.

Date: 11/27/20 15:11
Author: Hartington

I know the difference between a locomotive and a multiple unit set!

Go to YouT and search for "Locomotora E-269.01 de GrupoEFE, viajes de pruebas entre San Carlos y Pelequén"

Date: 11/28/20 02:38

Try reading my post again. I didn't say they were EMUs.  The three 269 trainsets are what EFE designated them and they were hauled by electric locomotives such as 269.1.  I'll post some photos of these trains in a bit.  At any rate,  today all passenger service is by EMUs,  as will future passenger train expansions planned by EFE be.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/20 03:50 by masterphots.

Date: 11/28/20 10:09
Author: GN1969

In October 1979, my wife and I were booked on the Santiago to Puerto Montt sleeper. I went to the station to see the consist and the sleeping car was a heavyweight 12-wheel car. Looked American vintage. Unfortunately due illness we had to cancel. One of my greatest rail regrets not to have ridden that train.

Date: 11/28/20 11:08

I rode it in October 1991 on my first trip to Chile.  At that point it terminated in Temuco.  There was local service south of there,  behind GE shovel-nose diesels, to end of the line at Pto Montt.  I was on a tour and we transferred from the Santiago train to our steam charter which traversed the Lonquimay Branch as far as Sierra Nevada.  A great trip and on the return flight to Miami met my future senora and the rest is history as they say.

Date: 11/30/20 08:55
Author: 55002

Thanks for all the photos. I rode behing one of these electrics on a Trains Unlimited tour in the early 90s. chris uk

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0663 seconds