Home Open Account Help 391 users online

International Railroad Discussion > A visit to a JNR engine terminal -- 50 years ago....

Date: 01/25/21 12:26
A visit to a JNR engine terminal -- 50 years ago....
Author: Steinzeit2

During a visit to Japan in 1971 I had the opportunity through the courtesy of JNR to briefly visit three of their facilities in the Osaka - Kyoto region in the course of a day.  The first location was the Suita engine terminal:

1)  My hosts / guides for the day, posed in front of an EF66.  [ I had previously posted this photo in the topic below that prompted this post.]

2-3)  D51 25.  This is one of the first 90 dating from 1936-7 or so with the front skyline casing.  I was told this locomotive was used at the time for excursion service;  it was the only steam locomotive there, and probably the only one I saw all day.

To be continued...

SZ

Date: 01/25/21 12:48
Re: A visit to a JNR engine terminal -- 50 years ago....

Three of the electric locomotives there;  this was not necessarily their home depot.

4)  EF65 64   This and the unit below were switching cars of company material around the facility

5)  EF65 523      There were three distinct groups of EF65:  1-135, 501-542, and 1001-1039 [ the quantities as shown in the 1971 roster book I have ];  the latter two classes had higher gearing and were used on premium trains, both passenger and express freight.

6)  EF60 83     There were 143 of these, including 14 in a .5xx subclass. 

More to follow....

Date: 01/25/21 13:22

7)  EF65 532, with EF65 124 at right

8)  A close up of the coupler on the 532.  This coupler made the MR and BP connections, yet -- at least in the applications I saw -- the cut lever had to be used for uncoupling;  that is, there was no air cylinder or similar to permit from-the-cab etc uncoupling.  The only rolling stock I noticed equipped with these couplers were the solid container trains and their modern van equivalents;  I don't recall any passenger equipment so fitted, though in view of the JNR operation of block passenger trains that would have seemed logical, provided they were also equipped with the two pipe system -- or perhaps I just forgot !!.  Perhaps others can shed some light on this
   [ As an aside, older JNR passenger stock did not have tightlock couplers;  this was very noticeable if you were at the rear of a longer train, especially behind an AC locomotive.]

9)  DD51 18.  This is one of a relatively widespread diesel hydraulic class, with a B-2-B wheel arrangement to reduce the axle loading.  A conservative design, many are still in service, some re-engined.

More to come.....

Date: 01/25/21 13:37

10)  This and the next photo were actually 'next door' at the adjoining emu depot, and hence photo'd through the chain link fence;  work motor 22 152

11)  Two more work motors, and a 103 in orange, which were just being introduced on the Osaka loop line at that time

12)  A  wreck train car, 31 63.  It looks like the rails for the hydraulic rerailing system are underneath;  I think the word Hilfswagen, in the railway sense, fits better.

More to come.....

Date: 01/25/21 13:51

13)  Hopper car, part of a ballast cleaner train.  The carbody height platform didn't help with the view.

The following two photos were taken on the walk to the station for a ride back to Shin-Osaka:

14)  A Rapid Service 111 [ family ] formation.  Mixed liveries on anything were not unheard of, but were the exception.

15)  A view of the other side of DD51 18, running light on the main.

I hope you enjoyed this look back at 'The Golden Age of JNR'....

With best regards, SZ

Date: 01/25/21 19:48
Author: cchan006

Steinzeit2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 2-3)  D51 25.  This is one of the first 90
> dating from 1936-7 or so with the front skyline
> casing.  I was told this locomotive was used at
> the time for excursion service;  it was the only
> steam locomotive there, and probably the only one
> I saw all day.

I did a quick Internet research: D51 25 was stationed at Fukuchiyama (about 100 km away to the north) before coming to Suita in October of 1969. It was stored serviceable in March of 1971, so #25 had about year and a half to run excursions in the area. 

It was retired from service in March of 1976. It wasn't scrapped, as it's still on display in the City of Sanda, north of Kobe, at Hajikami Ike Park, and Google satellite and street views confirm that.

Date: 01/27/21 17:21
Author: cchan006

Steinzeit2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 6)  EF60 83     There were 143 of these,
> including 14 in a .5xx subclass. 

I caught EF60 19 in 2015, the last operating EF60 at the time. It was retired from service in July of 2019. It's difficult to catch the remnants of JNR's Golden Era ("Steinzeit Era" here on TO) when I don't live in Japan, but I've tried.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0777 seconds