Home Open Account Help 327 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Chepe copper canyon (Mexico) route reduction?

Date: 05/11/21 12:23
Chepe copper canyon (Mexico) route reduction?
Author: Flyer92122

Anyone been on the Chepe recently? Looking at their website it seems they have discontinued half the route at least on the first class train. The train schedule now is only from los mochis to creel. Local service from Chilualua suppossidly exists but there is no mention of it on their webpage or anywhere else. 

https://chepe.mx/en/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/21 12:23 by Flyer92122.

Date: 05/12/21 22:03
Re: Chepe copper canyon (Mexico) route reduction?
Author: mundo

Couple of years now.

With the highway now paved through Creel, Divisadero to Bahuichivo, the buses are much faster and cheaper then the train and little scenery.
West of Creel is the rugged mountain railroading.

My contacts say a local train once a week, since even the mail-express is handled on the highway, where possible. Seems to servide the section crews and small villages off the highway.

Since they do not consider this a tourist train, with no food service, they do not want want passengers  on it to be disappointed.  Money is to be made on the Deluxe.
Further, westbound schedule of local misses the most scenic portion which is at night.  Eastbound is fine, bring your own food/beverage should you be able to find the train. Its a lot more fun and infomal with all the stops and local color.

Deluxe train looks great, with dome and a open viewing section, but the price, ouch.  Reminds me of the VIA"Canadian".

When I operated a nine day special train with dome diner at $1,495, folks thought the price was high!!!.

Remember US interest operate most of the Mexican Rails now.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0403 seconds