Home Open Account Help 251 users online

International Railroad Discussion > FruiTea Fukushima (Japan's Joyful Train)

Date: 08/19/21 16:07
FruiTea Fukushima (Japan's Joyful Train)
Author: cchan006

While on my way to Aizu-Wakamatsu to see the C57 #180 steam locomotive, I saw this unique train parked at Koriyama Station in October of 2015.

Koriyama is located in the Fukushima area, one stop south of Fukushima on the Tohoku Shinkansen. They are about 44 km (27 miles) apart. It is located about 140 miles north of Tokyo.

Joyful Trains are modified train sets to accentuate experiential travel, and as the name of the genre suggests, it's supposed to bring joy. This particular one, FruiTea Fukushima is a modified Class (or Series) 719 with gourmet coffee shop interior with food and drinks. The name FruiTea implies pastries and cake with fruits, with tea and coffee served. This train started service in 2015, and I happen to catch it during its inaugural season.

Here's a link to JR East's Official web page:

https://www.jreast.co.jp/e/joyful/fruitea.html

JR Group typically modifies about-to-become obsolete or excess equipments to Joyful Train roles, and this one is no exception. Several Class 719 sets have been discontinued starting in 2016, only a year after the modification. Class 719 started revenue service in 1989.

I wanted to experience FruiTea, but since I didn't make an advanced reservation, I was not allowed to board the FruiTea section of the train. I did ride the standard EMU coupled to the FruiTea to travel to Aizu-Wakamatsu.

- FruiTea Fukushima, first 2 cars. 2x2  EMU sets (4 cars) are coupled behind it.

- FruiTea graphics on the side.

- Advertisement posted in a station.

That's it for the quick report.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/21 16:22 by cchan006.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0508 seconds