Home Open Account Help 362 users online

International Railroad Discussion > C57 #180 4-6-2 Steam Locomotive (Japan)

Date: 08/20/21 17:38
C57 #180 4-6-2 Steam Locomotive (Japan)
Author: cchan006

I wanted to see the C57 #180 steam locomotive in May of 2015, but it was undergoing repair and maintenance, and was out of service at the time. Instead, I caught the Hudson C61 #20 substituting for the C57:

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?6,3889411

Fortunately, railfan gossips on the possible demise of C57 #180 was unfounded, and it returned to service a couple of months later. I made a trip to Aizu-Wakamatsu in October 2015  to document the C57.

- Backing toward the roundhouse and the turntable.

- Turned around, backing into the excursion cars.

- Video of C57 #180 at Aizu-Wakamatsu. The excursion starts at Niitsu which is near Niigata and the trip turns around at Aizu-Wakamatsu then returns to Niitsu. The passenger cars don't get turned around, but the steam locomotive does, and it pulls the cars from the other end for the return trip.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 08/20/21 17:52
Re: C57 #180 4-6-2 Steam Locomotive (Japan)
Author: cchan006

The excursion cars for the "SL Banetsu Monogatari (Story)," the name of the train, went through renovations in 2014 to their current form. The most notable renovation/modification was the observation area on the end cars. They were originally modified from Class 12 passenger cars.

- Ready to move the train to the platform for boarding.

- Observation end of the Banestu Story train.

- Graphic is more art than the Japanese tendencies for "cartoon-ish."

That's it for the report.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0383 seconds