Home Open Account Help 317 users online

International Railroad Discussion > More from Bangkok

Date: 10/10/21 00:53
More from Bangkok
Author: gobbl3gook

Various scenes around the Bangkok Station.  February 2016.  En route from Lampang in the north to Prachuap Khiri Khan on the Gulf of Thailand. 

https://opentopomap.org/#map=16/13.74069/-259.48280

Ted in OR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/21 08:57 by gobbl3gook.

Date: 10/10/21 00:57
Re: More from Bangkok

Arrived and departed by overnight train.  I didn't sleep well and got a hotel to sleep in during the day while my traveling companion adventures around the city.  

I think the previous nights travel was in an AC Car.  (Stainless steel fluting with purple stripe) I preferred the Fan Cars with open windows.  But none were on that train, or they were sold out.  (Flat sides, purple and cream paint) 

Date: 10/10/21 01:03

Bonus photos -- the hotel next to the train station was pleasantly primitive.  Room had no windows (just hardware cloth walls from 8' to ceiling height) .  No electrical outlets.  Squatter toilet.  Certainly no AC.  Tea was heated on a charcoal fire. But had cool showers and a solid bed!  Only $6/night.  Perfect for an all-day layover.  Also pretty as heck.  

Date: 10/10/21 01:05

It also had a nice view of the train shed roof.  

(odd how some profile oriented photos are right side up, and some are rotated 90 degrees). 

comments, questions, observations?  

Date: 10/10/21 04:26
Author: Train29

Here's the front side of Hau Lamphong Station in Bangkok. It is scheduled to be replaced by a more modern faculty but with no doubt far less character.  It even has a mini food court complete with a Dunkin Doughnuts. Note that most stations have a plinthed steam locomotive somewhere on or near the property. Also evident is the obligatory photo of the King on the facade. 

Date: 10/10/21 06:30
Author: kenw

Wow, fantastic photos!  Brought back memories...went on the Bangkok-Chaingmai run twice in the past, great experience both times,   It will be nice when it will be possible to do those things again someday....

thanks for sharing!

Date: 10/10/21 11:19
Author: Ritzville

Very interesting series!!

Larry

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0711 seconds