Home Open Account Help 321 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Fortescue Metal orders SD70BB in Brazil

Date: 01/07/22 04:08
Fortescue Metal orders SD70BB in Brazil
Author: pedrop

Hi, good news. The second international order of battery locomotives to EMD plant of Brazil. This time, an SD70ACeBB. The first international order came from Pacific Harbor Line, in Los Angeles.

https://www.australianmining.com.au/news/fortescue-on-track-with-decarbonising-fleet/

Posted from Android

Pedro Rezende
Vespasiano MG,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/22 04:22 by pedrop.

Date: 01/07/22 04:30
Re: Fortescue Metal orders SD70BB in Brazil
Author: MitchGDRMCo

These being standard gauge are likely using the BB bogie setup to handle extra weight (FMG already run 40TAL) so I'm interested to know final weight specs as they could weigh around the 260-300t mark.

Date: 01/07/22 09:10
Author: up833

likely?..yes the link sez they will be 8-axle locos.
RB

Date: 01/07/22 09:42

Let's see if they will use the same trucks we use here.

Pedro Rezende
Vespasiano MG,
https://youtube.com/c/minasgeraisrailways1

Date: 01/07/22 11:40
Author: DKay

Thanks for the info and link Pedro.
Looks like  Andrew ''Twiggy'' Forrest is going all green.
Regards,DK

Can Fortescue's Andrew Forrest, a Carbon-Emitting Iron Ore Tycoon, Save the Planet? - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Date: 01/07/22 12:24
Author: ShoreLineRoute

The Fortescue's operation runs its trains over a 150+ mile line from branches to its iron ore mines down to Port Hedland on the coast north of Perth.  Hopefully the 14.5 MW-hr battery capacity is good for the whole uphill (empties) run to the mine, with a decent amount of regenerative charging on the downhill run, as a Trains Magazine commenter noted.

Oliver Barrett

Date: 01/07/22 13:09

Oh...The link opens only to subscribers.

DKay Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the info and link Pedro.
> Looks like  Andrew ''Twiggy'' Forrest is going
> all green.
> Regards,DK
>
> Can Fortescue's Andrew Forrest, a Carbon-Emitting
> Iron Ore Tycoon, Save the Planet? - The New York
> Times (nytimes.com)

Posted from Android

Pedro Rezende
Vespasiano MG,

Date: 01/07/22 14:56

up833 Wrote:
> likely?..yes the link sez they will be 8-axle
> locos.
> RB

Commenting on the why they are, not if they are....

Date: 01/07/22 19:44
Author: Ritzville

Interesting series and comments.

Larry

Date: 01/08/22 10:25
Author: Steinzeit2

My guess as to why:  They are going to be used at the port to make up / break up trains for the car dumpers -- in the same vein as the SAR SW1003 'Big Feet' at Richards Bay [ search on TO ].

Best, SZ

Date: 01/08/22 11:03
Author: railstiesballast

They may have had to go to 8 axles because the traction motors are smaller to fit the narrow gauge.
The axles are so close together that the weight impact on most bridges would be about the same as the same weight on six axles.
But the weight on the rail, which affects fatigue cracking, will be reduced by having 8 axles.
Speculation is fun but the facts are more interesting, if we can find them.

Date: 01/08/22 15:35

Um, FMGs railway is not narrow gauge....also doubt these will be used just at the port end, with the grade up into the ranges they'll be able to get charged from dynamics downhill and deploy that charge on the return climb.

Date: 01/08/22 17:27
Author: Steinzeit2

MitchGDRMCo Wrote:
...also doubt these will be used just at the port end, ....

Sure, it's possible these are for road service.  But what made me think port service is the pantograph at the rear of the image you have in your earlier post.  Is that an artist's rendition of a FMG unit ?  Perhaps that would then be to 'top off' the charge for the run back to the mines ?   They used to have rear end helpers on the initial miles from the mine;  if they still do, that might be another application.  If it does have the prime mover of an SD70 I agree that would suggest road service, since you wouldn't need the HP in the yard, just TE.

SZ

Date: 01/08/22 19:17

Battery-electric suggests no prime mover. This isn't a SD70ACe-BB as suggested, simply a locomotive using the same bogies.

Yes that is an artists rendition of the proposed locomotive.

Date: 01/09/22 04:20

The first battery powered unit built to Vale mining also have a small pantograph to charge in while shifting cars at Tubarão port, in Vitória ES. I do not know if they built the cathenary line to charge it while working, since I saw pictures of it plugged to a common charge plug on a wall. The unit returned to EMD for an upgrade a few months ago as I reported in a thread here in TO.

MitchGDRMCo Wrote:
> Battery-electric suggests no prime mover. This
> isn't a SD70ACe-BB as suggested, simply a
> locomotive using the same bogies.
>
> Yes that is an artists rendition of the proposed
> locomotive.

Posted from Android

Pedro Rezende
Vespasiano MG,

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/22 04:23 by pedrop.

Date: 01/10/22 10:26
Author: bogieman

The bogies will be standard gauge for this operation so will require developing a new derivative of the GBB meter gauge bogies used on the SD70ACe-BB. I surmise the way Fortescue wants to use these locos required the 14.5 megawatt-hour battery capacity and the weight of that size batteries dictated 8 axles. Otherwise, why would PR go to the expense to develop and tool a new bogie. Having that bogie in the bogie portfolio might result in some North American applications in the future.

Dave

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0756 seconds