Home Open Account Help 230 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Shinkansen Evangelion Project (2016)

Date: 11/23/22 15:48
Shinkansen Evangelion Project (2016)
Author: cchan006

Here's Stephenloco's timely report from 2016:

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?6,4168522

I posted my photos of the Shinkansen 500 Series based Evangelion Project ("500 Type EVA") in that link, so I won't repost them here. I do have a 6 years late video response here, where I exercised PSR (Precision Scheduled Railfanning). While my chase was PSR as the name intended, my very late report is consistent with PSR by the U.S. railroads. :-)

This was the 2nd day of my JR Rail Pass railfan trip in 2016, and I was already in Kurashiki (west of Okayama) for another railfan mission. I was ready to chase the 500 Type EVA from Kurashiki, Aioi, then Hiroshima along the Sanyo Shinkansen Line. I had a location in mind for my first intercept, which I had scouted by Internet using satellite and street view maps. It required a 2 mile hike from Kurashiki Station, so I didn't used it in the report from 2014 due to time constraints, but I was going to use it that day.

Report from 2014, chasing the 500 Series Shinkansen:

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?6,3359527

Handful of railfans were already waiting for the 500 Type EVA at the well-known photo spot, but fortunately, I can shoot handheld and stand behind a crowd, so that's what I did. We chatted for a bit after the 500 Type EVA (as Kodama #732) sped by, and they were going to stay there, protect their spots, and wait a couple of hours for Doctor Yellow to show up.

I had something more ambitious planned. I had already figured out that Doctor Yellow was going to MEET 500 Type EVA at Aioi Station. So I said goodbye to the railfans, hiked 2 miles back to Kurashiki, hopped on an eastbound train, and headed to Aioi.

After nabbing Doctor Yellow at Aioi, I quickly hopped on the 500 Type EVA (running as Kodama #741), and documented the interior of the train. I detrained at Hiroshima, took a meal break, hopped on another Shinkansen train to Shin-Yamaguchi to document C57 #1 steam locomotive, a report I posted a couple of days ago.

In Hiroshi-san's recent panning night shots post near Yokohama, we had a discussion about markings on a train. Well, as luck would have it, I was going to post this report soon, related to that discussion.

That's it for the very belated PSR report.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 11/24/22 09:07
Re: Shinkansen Evangelion Project (2016)
Author: goneon66

thanks for posting your video of Japan's hsr here.  i usually have to go to another place to see videos their hsr trains.

their hsr system is one we should sure be envious of............

Date: 11/24/22 09:49
Author: 55002

Great viideo - thanks for posting. I've had one holiday in Japan riding Shinkansens - and wow!!  chris uk

Date: 11/24/22 16:56
Author: tracktime

Fantastic catch of Dr. Yellow too!  Nicely done!

Cheers,
Harry

Date: 11/24/22 17:29
Author: ChrisCampi

Those 500's are beautiful. I just finished a novel by Cameron Curtis called Broken Arrow that features this train. Some knowledge was shown along with some large liberties taken. Really good series overall. 

Date: 11/25/22 07:38
Author: BlaineM

Amtrak, What Chut-chu Think?  A bit jealous?
Beautiful trains.  Thanks for posting.
Blaine 
American Foek

Date: 11/27/22 11:03
Author: ProAmtrak

goneon66 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> thanks for posting your video of Japan's hsr
> here.  i usually have to go to another place to
> see videos their hsr trains.
>
> their hsr system is one we should sure be envious
> of............
>
> 66

Yeah but you know how crappy our leaders get when it comes to something like this, even if they funded Amtrak properly from day one our passenger trains would've been good! 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0422 seconds