Home Open Account Help 265 users online

International Railroad Discussion > 2MT Side clearance question

Date: 07/05/23 12:35
2MT Side clearance question
Author: ORNHOO

Not sure where to put this, but the question was triggered by reading the reprint article "Tomorrows Railroad" in the August issue of Trains. The author gave details on track specifications such as gauge, curvature, and grade on the Tokaido New Trunk Line (Shinkansen), but made no mention of the separation between the double tracks. I recall hearing from a MOW worker that the UPRR standard is 25 feet center to center. Many years ago I rode an Intercity 125 train in Britain, when we met a train going the opposite direction my impression was that the clearance window to window might have been as much as 12 inches. So what are side clearance standards on the Shinkansen and other railroad systems around the world and in the US?

Date: 07/05/23 19:28
Re: 2MT Side clearance question
Author: Hiroshi

At least 4.3 meters according to JR internal specification.

Hope this helps.

Hiroshi

Posted from Android

Date: 07/05/23 21:38
Author: ORNHOO

Hiroshi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> At least 4.3 meters according to JR internal
> specification.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Hiroshi
>
> Posted from Android

Thank you, Hiroshi, but how is this measured? Centerline to centerline? Field face to field face? or between the sidewalls of the cars?

Date: 07/06/23 02:25
Author: Jimbo

When I was working, the 25 feet between track centers was for Maintenance of Way (MOW) purposes - if the distance was at least 25 feet, no speed or other restrictions to trains on the track adjacent to the one MOW was working were required.  Offhand, it seems track centers in the US of around 15 feet or maybe less are common, but I don't remember for sure.  Corrections welcome..

Jim

Date: 07/06/23 08:20
Author: mile250

Worldwide there are many different standards, from many different sources, for many different situations (track gage, loading gage --the space taken by vehicles of different sizes in motion-- and track geometry, such as curvature). So far as I know, all are specified centerline to centerline. In the US, for mixed-traffic railroads, 13 feet is pretty much the absolute minimum for tangent track (leaving 24 to 30 inches between sides of locomotives, considering handrails. etc.); 15 feet is preferred; 25 feet is a common standard for new mainline construction, which allows trackwork on one track with little or no speed restriction on the neighboring track. Obviously, where people or vehicles need access for switching, inspection, or loading/unloading, more space is required.

Date: 07/07/23 02:14
Author: Hiroshi

Distance brtween centers of tracks.

Hope this helps.

Hiroshi

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0409 seconds