Home Open Account Help 256 users online

International Railroad Discussion > EFE Chile new EMUs

Date: 01/21/24 05:12
EFE Chile new EMUs
Author: masterphots

Friday was the first day of operation of the new Chinese EMUs for the Santiago to Chillan service.  These replace worn out former RENFE trains.  The service only operates as far as Curico until October,  due to bridge replacements south of there.  Top speed of the trains is 160kph,  about 95 mph,  and they will reduce the schedule time by 15%.  Here are a few photos from this morning.  I met two CRRC tech engineers from China who will be with the trains for the first month or so.  So far so good they told me.  One asked me if I'd ever photo'd steam in China.  I said no and he told me it was a great show.  

Date: 01/21/24 05:12
Re: EFE Chile new EMUs

Now a couple of interior views

Date: 01/21/24 18:12
Author: BoilingMan

Not a bad looking train- interesting placement of the headlights.
SR

Date: 01/21/24 23:58
Author: cchan006

masterphots Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Top speed of the trains is 160kph,  about 95 mph,
> and they will reduce the schedule time by 15%. 

Thanks for the report. Nitpick, but 160 km/h is 99.44 mph, basically 100 mph. 

Date: 01/22/24 04:41

cchan006 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> masterphots Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Top speed of the trains is 160kph,  about 95
> mph,
> > and they will reduce the schedule time by
> 15%. 
>
> Thanks for the report. Nitpick, but 160 km/h is
> 99.44 mph, basically 100 mph. 

You're right.  I rode it yesterday and was very nice.  Twin expresso machines at the bar.  Only one of three daily roundtrips are using the new trains at the moment.  The other two have the old Spanish clunks.  But as they road test all the new trainsets,  they'll be introduced.....projected to be a month or so,  with each set being used in daily service to iron out any bugs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/24 05:22 by masterphots.

Date: 01/24/24 03:37
Author: pedrop

Beautifull train. How is the distance in Km or miles between the cities they will link?

Pedro Rezende
Vespasiano MG,
https://youtube.com/c/minasgeraisrailways1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/24 03:44 by pedrop.

Date: 01/24/24 04:33

The complete line between Santiago and Chillan is about 250 miles.   Chillan is the end of the electrification.  After the 8.8 earthquake on 2/27/10,  it was decided to remove the wire which at the time extended further south to Temuco.

Today the trains only operate 120 miles between Santiago and Curico.  Once the bridge replacements are completed it will fully open to Chillan.  Currently projected for October 2024.  Fepasa freight operations are also cut as a result of this work.  Bridges were destroyed in last August's unprecedented rain/flooding

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/24 05:47 by masterphots.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0541 seconds