Home Open Account Help 378 users online

International Railroad Discussion > An EMD SDL39 odyssey from Minnesota to Chile

Date: 01/30/24 14:22
An EMD SDL39 odyssey from Minnesota to Chile
Author: masterphots

The only ten EMD SDL39s were built for the Milwaukee.  One was totaled on the Milwaukee and the remaining nine went to the Wisconsin Central.  They were then sold to Ferrocarril del Pacifico, the principal freight operator for Chile's southern network.  Upon arrival in Chile, in WC colors, they were regauged to 5 ft 6 in,  and things on top of the units were moved or recessed to meet the loading gauge.  All work was done by contractor Casagrande Motori S.A. in Santiago.   All nine remain in daily service in southern Chile,  mostly in timber/cellulose service.  Here are views of MILW/WC 588 which became FCP 2345.   Though the units have retained their bells, I can't recall ever hearing one in use down here.

1.   MILW 588 at Austin, MN 9/3/82     Mike Wise photo;  my collection
2.   FCP 2345 x-works at Santiago, Chile  2/5/05
3.   FCP 2345 in new colors at Santiago.  2/28/20

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/24 09:43 by masterphots.

Date: 01/30/24 14:46
Re: An EMD SDL39 odyssey from Minnesota to Chile
Author: exhaustED

Very interesting, I had no idea about these being shipped to South America. Great shots too. Those fuel tanks are the definition of petite!

Date: 01/30/24 14:57
Author: pedrop

The SDL39 got a new life in Chile, what is very good. I hope it can survives there for many years.

Pedro Rezende
Vespasiano MG,
https://youtube.com/c/minasgeraisrailways1

Date: 02/01/24 03:08
Author: E25

'Always liked those.  Thanks for the update, Alan.

Greg Stadter
Phoenix, AZ

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0339 seconds