Home Open Account Help 361 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Gala Yuzawa, Ski Resort and HSR (Japan)

Date: 04/06/24 19:48
Gala Yuzawa, Ski Resort and HSR (Japan)
Author: cchan006

It was still ski season when I visited Japan last month, so I took advantage of the Tokyo Wide Area Pass and did a joyride to Gala Yuzawa.

Gala Yuzawa is located one stop north (outbound direction) from Echigo-Yuzawa, a resort area for hot springs all season, hiking/mountaineering in warmer months, and ski/snowboarding in colder months. Unlike most Shinkansen stops, Gala Yuzawa is HSR ONLY, no conventional speed trains serve the station. The station is only open when the ski resorts are open, so it is not accesible during other seasons.

Those who didn't take the Joetsu Shinkansen to get there can ride free shuttle buses to/from Echigo-Yuzawa.

The station and ski resort opened for business in 1990. The resort owner is JR East (East Japan Railway). Not surprisingly, there's advertisement all over during ski season, inside trains (paper ads and LCD screens), at stations, TV commercials, and Internet ads.

I was running some "errands" (railfanning, hobby shop visiting, food touring) in Tokyo so I missed the only morning weekday train to Gala Yuzawa. So I continued with the "errands" the rest of the day, and hopped on the evening train, took some photos of the station, and hopped right back on, the last train to Tokyo for the evening.

- Shinkansen E7 at Gala Yuzawa. 1 platform, 2 tracks (1435 mm gauge only).
- Looking at the north end (dead end).

Date: 04/06/24 19:50
Re: Gala Yuzawa, Ski Resort and HSR (Japan)

MOW equipment parked near Gala Yuzawa Station:

Date: 04/06/24 19:57
Re: Gala Yuzawa, Ski Resort and HSR (Japan)

Since the resorts were closing due to darkness, I couldn't explore outside the station. My gift shop browsing was interrupted by the storekeeper who was worried I might miss the last train.

- Skiers and snowboarders waiting to board the last train.
- Inside the cool-looking station complex.
- Ski gondola to HSR transfer station.

That's it for the report.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0363 seconds