Home Open Account Help 192 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Japan - Hida Express

Date: 04/30/24 12:29
Japan - Hida Express
Author: wzd

We will be taking the Hida Express in a couple of weeks from Nagoya to Takayama.

I understand that it's possible to look out the front of the train and wonder if there is a seating and car number diagram that would help in reserving the "railfan seat"?

Also, I'm under the impression that there is a special class of service to ride in the lead car.

Thanks.

Date: 04/30/24 18:14
Re: Japan - Hida Express
Author: cchan006

wzd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We will be taking the Hida Express in a couple of
> weeks from Nagoya to Takayama.
>
> I understand that it's possible to look out the
> front of the train and wonder if there is a
> seating and car number diagram that would help in
> reserving the "railfan seat"?
>
> Also, I'm under the impression that there is a
> special class of service to ride in the lead car.
>
> Thanks.

Unfortunately, JR Central (a.k.a. JR Tokai) retired the Kiha 85 DMU (nicknamed "Wide View Hida" early on) on March of 2023. New HC85 DMUs do not have the front/rear observation seats like the Kiha 85. 

But don't take my word for it - there should be information on the Internet to collaborate my claim. Information on Hida on the English wikipedia page regarding the observation seats seem obsolete.

Date: 05/08/24 09:07
Re: Japan - Hida Express
Author: GN1969

Having ridden this line many times, may I suggest that the most awesome portion is north of Takayama to Toyama on the Sea of Japan. In particular the section between Hida-Furukawa and Inotani is spectacular. From Toyama you can catch the Shinkansen back to Tokyo. Better yet, visit nearby Kanazawa on the same Shinkansen line just west of Toyama.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0412 seconds