Home Open Account Help 207 users online

International Railroad Discussion > SOMEBODY explain this Aussie trackwork to me

Date: 07/10/05 17:55
SOMEBODY explain this Aussie trackwork to me
Author: PumpkinHogger

Check out the switch at the farthest platfrom track to the right by the signal, what is up with all the extra guard rails? Why? The other switches don't have all that extra steel:

The hated Railpix link:

Date: 07/10/05 18:13
Re: SOMEBODY explain this Aussie trackork to me
Author: SOO6617

PumpkinHogger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Check out the switch at the farthest platfrom
> track to the right by the signal, what is up with
> all the extra guard rails? Why? The other switches
> don't have all that extra steel:
>

The tracks to the left are broad gauge. the tracks in the background are standard gauge.
The switch and the three rails along the platform allow trains of both gauges to use the platform.

Date: 07/10/05 19:37
Author: PumpkinHogger

Ah I see, the broad gauge lines are all across the station ladder fan to the left of our subject rail, and the tracks off to the right where the high-speed train is are standard gauge. This connector allows either to use the platform on the right.

So, that is not a switch or turnout per American vernacular since it really doesn't permit a choice of routes. Is there an Aussie name for such a device to allow both lines to use the same lane of rail?

Date: 07/11/05 03:35
Author: mmciau

Yes, correct explanation - "suburban" Melbourne rail network is Broad Gauge.

The XPT interstate train shown is departing the Spencer Street station, travelling "north" to Sydney, New South Wales. The interstate network is standard gauge.

Not far out of the station, the XPT will climb to an elevated track which enables the XPT to traverse the Spencer Street broad gauge network. It will travel via the SG system, then a section understreet through Footscray and on for a further 2 Kms or so (forgotten name of station) to where it will turn "right" and head north to Sydney. Trains that head "south" at that turnout head to South Australia and onto Northern Territory and or West Australia!

Mike

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0389 seconds